Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profile Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshalllaw

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
US
Hello all,

I am having some serious issues when it comes to roaming profiles. I have in ecxess of 50 users working with roaming profiles that in most cases will not work. Here's what I have tried so far:

-Reset permissions on all folders to include admin group and the user
-Had the user take ownership of all of their profile files and folders
-Verified that they are set to Roam, both on the local machine and in Active Directory
-Tried removing old profile, reseting and pushing a new profile from the local machine to the network

None of these solutions has worked, at least for more than 24 hours. I have had a couple of instances where it will work for a few hours and appears to be ok, but the user will report that there are problems later.

My most recent attempt to fix them included all the steps above, and now I can't even get the users profile to re-populate on the network.

Any help on this would be fantastic!

FYI: Local system is running Windows 2K and the server is running Windows Server 2000.

Thanks,

John

John,

Is there any related event logged on the server or client?

Check what you have against the following..

faq96-6135

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Thanks for the replies. Question, we have not been "sharing" our profiles drive through the sharing and security portion of windows. The folder is a network resource that is available to users on our Lan. Will this cause problems with machines where users profiles are switching back and forth between Win2K and WinXP?

It can be a security issue. If you can't set the permissions on the network resource, then one user could gain access to another user's profile. That defeats part of the purpose for having an individual profile alltogether.

As for switching between operating systems, you shouldn't have a problem switching between 2k and xp. Where you may have issue is if one computer has applications that the other does not.

Nahhh, permissions are good. We have checked and re-checked those to make sure they are working as we want them to, I was just interested in the "share" part of the instructions page. That being said, I went through the FAQ, and everything should be working fine, but it's not. Any more suggestions?

Thanks!

As requested, some suggestions:
[ul]
[li] see any error or warning event in the client's event log at logon time? Their might be a another issue that has been overlooked.[/li]
[li]Another approach is setting up success/failure auditing on the folder containing the roaming profiles.[/li]
[li]Or you could try to lower security (for testing purposes) to Everyone Full Control in the profiles folder.[/li]
[/ul]

When troubleshooting, you must try different configurations to narrow down the root cause. i.e. Generate a test user and set up a profile for this test user on a share other than the one you are using. If it works well, then try it with a user that is having problems going to a share other than the one you are using normally.

By changing the paramaters for test users, you can narrow it down to problems with switching OS's, problems with the share, or problems with particular users, etc

Have you tried making a user’s account an administrator of one of the computers they are using? I ask because I have had problem with redirecting folders (i.e. My Documents, Desktop) to the network until I grant them administrator like privileges. Then when all bugs are cleared make them users only, if you have to.

In order to avoid having to go to each computer to configure the privileges, you may be able to use Restricted Groups trough an ADS Policy.

Mr Zorry
There are no systems better than the people who drive them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back