Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming Profile Not Re-applying After Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossc001

Technical User
Dec 22, 2004
GB
Hi,

I've just installed a new 2003 server in a test environment with a 2 clients but I have come across 1 issue which i've never had before. It's really bugging me because I think it could be something really simple.

Heres the situation:
I have 1 user setup with a roaming profile called TEST my 2K3 Server with all the profile paths set etc...

I logon to CLIENT1 using TEST user and create some documents in My Documents then log off. I checked the server and the newly created documents are stored in the correct area.

I then logon to CLIENT2 using TEST user, the roaming profile is loaded from the server and the newly created documents are in My Documents. Everything is OK so far. I decided to delete these files from My Documents then log off. I checked the server and they were deleted from the profile.

Logged back onto CLIENT1 using TEST user for a second time and the files which I deleted and weren't on the server are still on CLIENT1 in my documents. It appears that it doesn't retrieve the Roaming Profile on the second login to a computer and simply uses the Local Profile. Even if I put a file in the profile directly using the server it doesn't appear in the profile on the Client.

Isn't it supposed to merge the roaming profile with the local profile because it seems that this isn't the case?!

In Group Policy i've enabled 'Wait for Remote User Profile' and disabled 'Only allow local user profiles' just as a trial.

Maybe i've got it all wrong and this is normal but it seems a bit strange to me.

Is anyone able to help me out please or experienced a similar problem?

Any help would be appreciated :)

When you logon to client1 check in system properties | advanced settings | profiles

Check whether Test1 profile is roaming or local.
If it is local try changing the type to roaming.

I have checked it to make sure and it's a Roaming profile on CLIENT1.

If I add a file onto the profile via the server it should still appear on the Roaming profile once logged in shouldn't it?

Bit Extra: Both CLIENTS are running XP SP2.

It appears that it doesn't matter how many times I log onto the CLIENT after the 1st login when it retrieved the Romaing profile it still retrieves the local profile.

If I restart the CLIENT:
1st Login Retrieves local profile
2nd,3rd,xth Login Retrieves Local Profile

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back