Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roaming profile not available

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhonda

MIS
Sep 6, 2001
US
There was a problem with user2 NT account. I decided to recreated user2 account by copying user1(no problem) account on the citrix server. After that, I log into user2 account and it gives me a messege "Your roaming profile is not available. You will be logged on with the locally stored profiles" How can I get rid of this messege?

Are you using a PDC or is the Citrix box the PDC? Ideally you'd want an NT or 2000 box to handle the login's and let the Citrix box be just a member server. If so your account profiles would be on the PDC.

When you copy profiles, make sure:
1. The profile path is properly stated in the user manager for domains, profile , Terminal Server profile path
2. The user profile directory is shared and the user has rights on it

But most important, copy profiles using the following method:
1. Right click "My computer", choose "user profiles"
2. Choose the profile you want to copy, click "copy to"
3. enter the path where the profile should be copied to (the new user profile directory path)and VERY IMPORTANT click on "Permitted to use - change..." and choose the new user account name. This will change the registry rights to access the profile.

Optionally you can change the profile rights already copied:
1. Open REGEDT32, choose HKEY_USERS, choose the menu Registry, load hive
2. open the ntuser.dat (give it any name it doesn't matter)
3. mark the loaded hive (one left click), choose the menu security / permissions.
4. Add the user you want to access the profile, remove the previous user (but not administrators) check the box "replace permissions on existing subkeys" , type of access "full control" and click ok.

use the first copy method for new users. It is less complicated. Notice that even if you grant rights to the user profile directory, the registry rights have to be granted also,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back