Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Road Runner, VPN Cisco Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

autocutter

Programmer
May 25, 2003
US
Hi there!

We are having problems keeping a Windows 98/Road Runner/cisco VPN connection going. When trying to send an email or doing an update in Access/SQL our VPN client, randomly, will "collapse" for a want of a better word. When the client collapses it will either lock the PC up, or if not locked up, the VPN will not start back up until the PC is rebooted. Both Road Runner and the people handling the VPN swear that there is no filtering going on, the Access application polls the server every 3 minutes so time-outs are not an issue, and we have several successful DSL based VPN-help!

Have a similiar situation with a Sonicwall "box to box" situation. No solution, with the Box to box but we were able to get it working using Sonicwalls Group VPN and with Linksys to Sonicwall boxes. In New York, Road Runner or routing affiliates are definitely causing this problem. You might try setting your MTU settings on all machines and devices to an acceptible level, ours is 1500 but can vary due to routers outside your Lan. Road Runner scans us immediately after the "box to box" fails to complete VPN negotiation

It is driving me crazy-like that is something when dealing with VPN! We have replaced the PC, had the "techs" checking the signal etc etc. Since we know the VPN Cert works with all of the DSL's, the problem has to be with Road Runner, does Road Runner have any real computer tech's or at least someone who can say more than "can you reach the Internet???"

Yes dealing with their techs is not rewarding. As you say, if you can reach the internet, that is all they are intersested in. I would have been willing to pay good money for them to solve our VPN problems.

Roader Runner is very insistant they do not hamper VPN, and I suppose there is some effort on their part not to. We have multiple routers between us and remote users and some are not RR's, which adds to the complexity.

Expensive, but you might bring in someone with a sniffer program to find out just where the problem originates.

It wouldn't be so bad if it were not for the money we are paying for the so-called business class and static IP. What I am looking at right now is packet fragmentation and the speed of the upload since the problems start in the "send" phase and, of course, the random drops. What I am going to try is reducing the Win98 box to a MaxMTU of around 1300-1400(whatever the MSS indicates) and drop the PMTUDiscovery back to a Zero

One of our VPs has just had a similar problem with roadrunner.

We installed a router in his house ($70) and also made sure he had the latest Cisco vpn client (403c). His problems went away. Don't know if it was the router or the client.

But I do agree that the RR techs were completely worthless.

I am using a Netgear Cable/DSL router behind the RR so-called "Modem," but still have the problem-with or without the second router-did you cut out the RR router and if so how did you cut out the RG45 connector? I am using the latest Cisco client-don't you just the import/export "feature"

Refer to the following Url, if it is an MTU problem, it may not be your equipement or even RR, could be any router between the remote and office.

Got one of my remote going the other day by dropping my Sonicwall MTU to 1444 because of the remote sides DSL line in Canada.
As far as the client for the Netgear, believe it is the safenet client,as used with the sonicwall, you export the security policy from a working VPN client, import it into a new client's security policy editor (if it is the Group VPN SA). If you export from the SA directly, you need to do the same as above but your shared key must be entered after the import.

Bierhunter has a good suggestion. A cheapy Netgear or Linksys box at the remote sets up quickly once you get the first one going. There are reference to this on the forum and other sites.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back