Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rlogin

Status
Not open for further replies.

olli2003

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
DE
Hi everybody

I've tried to do a "rlogin" on a remote host,
but every time I do, the system asks to enter a password.
Now, how can I do without? I've locked for the .rhosts and /etc/hosts.equiv. The remote host has an entry in both
files. Further on, what can I do?
Thanks for help in advance!

Best Regards
Oliver

It's AIX 5.2 on Remote System AIX 4.3.3

Sorry, of course I've ment "I've looked for the .rhosts and etc/hosts.equiv".

Regards
Oliver

see $HOME/.rhosts having correct permissions (normall 600 ) and owner ship also..

if rlogin is not at all allowing see /etc/security/user file

default:
rlogin=true

Hi!

Yes, the permissions are correct and also in /etc/security/user file the current entry exist.
May be, must there any configuration on the REMOTE HOST,
that it will allow to open a connection without asking for a password?

Regards
Oliver

On which system is your .rhosts file? is it the remote host? That's the system you are trying to get to, so that is the system that has to allow it through the .rhosts file.

Isn't .rhosts at the root level. Edit the .rhosts on the machine you want to rlogin to and include the name of the machine you rlogin from.

Tracee

Not sure what you mean by the root level. Any user can have an .rhosts file and it must be in the user's home directory and it must be owned by the user and it must have permissions of 600. And it has to be on the remote system you are trying to rlogin to because that's the system that has to allow the rlogin -- not the system you are currently on.

Dear all

Thanks a lot for all your answers:eek:) The .rhosts is ok
on all servers. It's in the home-directory of Root at all.
The action which disturbs me's, that the system will ask for a PASSWORD. That's my problem and that I don't want!

Regards
Oliver

Are the names of the systems in your .rhosts files the fully qualified domain name? That will cause the password to be required.

So, if you system name is mysystem, and your domain name is domain.com, put mysystem.domain.com in the .rhosts file. That should stop the password from being required.

Hi!

Yes, that was the problem I had.
Thanks a lot for help!

Best Regards
Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back