Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rlogin / SSH / Unix with Procomm Plus 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
To All...
I have my setup secure now with ssh. Its hard to show a picture using text but, here's my setup from bottom to top:

PBX
^^^
Windows PC(UWIN&SSHD)
^^^
Router with NAT to ELAN
^^^
Internet
^^^
SSH Remote PC using Putty and Procomm

You can startup the windows telnet service on XP machine, but keep the telnet port blocked on the firewall. That way you can use procomm to telnet to yourself to access the cmd version of putty for ssh, and still keep you machine from an incoming telnet session to your NIC. I usually just use putty to directly make changes to my pbx from the internet over ssh. Of course I using procomm instead for large scripts. On the elan router I have a public IP assigned, and the ssh port 22 forwarded to the XP PC with UWIN running the sshd service. I had to edit the /etc/rc file to add the line to start sshd when the pc boots up. Once you hit the the UWIN shell, you can then run your rlogin from there. I added some unix/linux scripts that execute the rlogin commands for you, so when you hit the UWIN shell you just type the name of the script and it get you in the pbx.

Having UWIN on a pc in the ELAN makes it easyer on accessing the pbx from other machines, because it keeps you from having to install UWIN when you can just run putty.

When locally, I have tried to use putty to directly rlogin to the pbx, but I run into problems with it locking up pty ports. The only way to fix a locked pty port is an INI. UWIN works flawlessly without locking up pty ports when rlogin everytime. Hope this is some more helpful tips to add to your guide.

Worked like a charm Firebird. It is somewhat wordy, but it works!

I should have paid attention to gl1176 notes about using the ~ and exit. I orphaned 4 instances of ksh and rlogin and tied up my PTY ports. Couldn't even login in with ZOC and panic a little, but then the light bulb clicked on (Check the task manager)...

Thanks again!

Actuall to exit the rlogin tty you use "~." not "~

Here's a fun tip... telnet to port 513 on your pbx... its causes the pbx to INI... I found that out the hard way.

There's a few fixes to firebirdscrambler's rlogin guide that I will clear up here.

1)states "I’ve found that there is no need to run the Uwin program. It just needs to be installed on your computer."

Actually, once UWIN is install on your pc, its always running. It installs itself as a windows service, so it can automatically startup on a windows boot. You can stop the service from the windows services panel. You can also control some of its features from a link in the windows control panel. UWIN is really a small verison of UNIX that runs itself inside windows. The Ksh icon that you see on the desktop is an easy access to the Korn Shell for UWIN.

2)states "Login in using your computers login access ID (Not the Nortel PBX Name!). You will then get.."

"Enter in your computers password. If it’s successful, then you will get a “$” appear underneath the password after a few seconds!."

This should say "Login in using your Windows login and password". The "$" is a KORN Shell prompt. Kinda like the windows cmd prompt that look like "C:\".

3)states "Key “~” (Above the hash button)"

Again, this should be "~.". If done right, you will get back to the Korn shell prompt of "$". Also the ~ key is in different places on keyboards. Mine is above the tab key and I have to use shift because it shares the ` key with it.

4)states "Keying “help” will list out the Unix commands"

Keying "help" really gives you the windows help commands inside the UWIN korn shell. UWIN shares command lines with windows, that means that you can run windows or unix commands from it. In order to get help with commands, the procedure is just like linux or unix. You can use "man" for manual in front of a unix command to get a html doc on what it does and what options are avalible for it. Or you can type the command followed by --h to see the avalibe options. like this:

$ man ls will pull up the manual page for ls
$ ls --h will pull up options for ls

if you want to find most of the commands for UWIN, just look in the directory in windows
C:\Program Files\UWIN\usr\bin
There is also some good info on the UWIN site, and if installed, in the windows directory
C:\Program Files\UWIN\usr\doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back