Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rlogin access as root 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am trying to use rlogin from other unix machine to connect to my Solatis 7 machine but I keep getting the error "not on system console" I think this may be as I am logged in a root. How do I allow root access via rlogin. I have the machines in the /etc/host and hosts.equiv files. Any suggestions glady accepted as this is my first time workign with solaris of any version

thanks

stu

I'm not very sure but i think the solaris box has the parameter "login=/dev/console" is activated and only from that console you can log in into the machineas root.however if you want to login you can use other user accounts and then give switch user "su" command.Hope this anserws ur question.

The file /etc/default/login has an entry Console=/dev/console If this line is commented ( by placing "#" in front of the entry ) then you will be able to login as root from other systems.

Thanks for the help that was exactly what I needed to solve the problem.

stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back