Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RJ46?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aastratech

Technical User
Aug 15, 2006
GB
we have been asked to provide both RJ45 and RJ46 outlets for a customer, has anyone any idea what RJ46 cabling is like.
Very little info on the internet but the oulets look like they have 5 pair connections.

Appreciate any feedback.

I would confirm the customer's needs. Mostly because an RJ45 is REALLY a two-wire circuit on pins 4&5 of 8-pin jack with programming resistor on pins 7&8. I've been doing voice & data for 20 years and have NEVER installed an RJ45. Hence, I wouldn't put a lot of credence in the "RJ" codes that this customer may present... And I've never heard of an RJ46.
Mike

ATT 568B pinout for RJ46 jacks allows both data and voice mixed. Hold end with clip down, wire exiting to left. Pins are numbered down from top:

1 - Wht/Orn
2 - Orn
3 - Wht/Grn
4 - Blu
5 - Wht/Blu
6 - Grn
7 - Wht/brn
8 - Brn

Pairs 1-2 (Orn) and 3-6 (Grn) are 10Base-T data (TX/RX pairs), pair 4-5 (Blu) is *VOICE* and pair 7-8 (Brn) is spare (Voice 2)

A RJ46 connector uses all eight. A "voice only" RJ11 connector only makes connections to 3, 4, 5, 6 and the analog phone actually only uses 4, 5.

This allows you to slip an RJ11 voice jack into a RJ46 jack and have the POTS phone work. This is how the spec was *designed* but I've never seen it implemented as CAT5 cable is so cheap everyone pulls 2x cables. and uses one for data and the other for voice. But it can work.

I really do not recommend this

Michael
"I'm working on it!"

I was curios so I did a search and I couldn't find anything on it
I would find out what the customer needs are sounds like someone mis-specking

customer has clearly indicated CAT6e cabling required:
RJ45 outlets for voice and data and also RJ46 outlets for misc.
I was unclear to what RJ46 was so hence the question.
I think i will go back to customer to get a defined reason for such a request.

thanks for all your responses.

I suspect what the customer REALLY wants is NOT RJ45 (as technically defined) but rather an 8-pin modular jack wired to EIA/TIA 568A or B specs. Many folks, including many manufacturers throw around the RJ codes incorrectly. The RJ codes define how a jack is WIRED, not what it looks like. The funny thing is that, if you truly wired to RJ45 specs, voice may work, but Ethernet data certainly wouldn't. And the customer would be furious.
Mike

It's a typo. I bet the customer used an Excel spreadsheet and wanted an 8 conductor 568B and wrote it like this:

rj-45 | for voice and data

Then they dragged the column down meaning to add another rj-45 for misc. and Excel gave them:

rj-46 | for misc.

-CL

Voice and data on the same cable is a train wreck for high speed data traffic. 10M speed (CAT3) OK but not any higher.

mforrence - "I've been doing voice & data for 20 years and have NEVER installed an RJ45"

I'm curious, can you elaborate?

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

i am begining to think it is a typo as explained above.
Regards the wiring, when they request RJ45 outlet they actually are trying to describe CAT6e cabling wired as normal ATT 568B which can then be "patched" as ethernet or voice not both on same outlet.

Buitenhek
Simply put, we've installed thousands of EIA568A or B jacks, but none that were actually wired to USOC RJ45 specs (one pair on center pins and programming resistor on pins 7&8). My point is that folks use the term RJ45 and mean either "8-pin modular" or "EIA568"
Mike

Wow, and all this time I was thinking that RJ-46 was just like the RJ-12 term used for handset cords :)

IIRC the resistor deal is a variation of RJ-48 (x or s?).

You know you're in trouble when the customer wants Cat-6 and mixed use cable.....not possible under 1000 BaseT. Just spend some time with the customer and educate him on how this stuff works.

LkEErie

SEE, this is what I have been making comments about for some time!!
THE MISUSE and ABUSE of "RJ" ANYTHING!

And this is reflected above as "RJ12" for handsets! Well handsets were NEVER part of the REGISTERED JACK program, since the handset is NOT a "phone" and telco is not going to install a jack for a handset!

RJ does NOT apply to ETHERNET anything or CAT anything,or even Token-Ring!

But just to be accurate, there was a USOC RJ46S and RJ46M which is described as follows: Data: Single Line bridged tip and ring, A/A1 , tip and ring ahead of the circuit; 8 position keyed modular jack hardware. RJ46M: Same as RJ46S only in Multiple Mounting arrangements bridged tip and ring with or without A/A1.

If you are going to designate the jack for the Category rated data channel, it would be a 568A or 568B modular data jack,and those are only 8 position jacks according to the TIA standard.

....JIM....

To be fair, IIRC RJ-12 and 13 were designated for Key System T,R,A,A1 either in front of or behind a key card.

Clearly long since deleted :)

I've seen handset plugs referred to as RJ-10,12 and 22's.
We just call them 4p4c handset plugs as opposed to 4p6c for base cord plugs.

LkEErie

Thanks, LkEErie.

If anyone is interested, in the back section of the SUTTLE Apparatus catalogue there is a complete list of the "RJ" USOC designations with wiring diagrams for all known valid Registered Jack configurations. My copy is from 2007. Suttle has always had this list in their catalogue as far back as the 1980s. They got it right from the get-go.

....JIM....

The confusion is that there is a RJ45S type of pin out config for certain voice applications, which don't seem to apply in this case.

Thanks,

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

What do you think I have been talking about? Of course it does not apply! I said RJ does NOT apply to ETHERNET anything or CAT anything,or even Token-Ring!

If more people would do their homework, we would all benefit!

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back