Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RJ45's cat5 vs cat6

Status
Not open for further replies.

crooter

Technical User
May 10, 2005
US
any difference in the RJ45? Seems to me I have not seen any CAT6 Rj45's.......anyone know anything different?

If you are competent there is NO reason you cannot make a cable as good as some factory. The reason not to is that factory cables are cheaper than a competent person's time.

I carry a non "high end crimp tool" that has made thousands of terminations. There has NEVER been a problem with any of them that testing didn't catch. I know since I only wire networks that I support.

It depends on the job if I buy or make the cables myself. Custom made cables can really make a job look great with no effect on performance. It also costs more since I can only make and test about 20 cat5 cables per hour.

It is time to give "scrap is crap" a rest. I have found factory made cables that were bad. It happens.

If you can't make a decent cable how good is your workmanship overall?

Right on, wires. I've made hundreds of "scrap crap" cables over the years, except they weren't scrap and they weren't crap. Nothing gets put into service without being tested, and I've had one home-made cable fail in the last 5 years and it was in a location that the best commercial cable would've failed too.

I don't use hand-made patch cables by choice - the hoops I have to go through to purchase anything (I work for a state government) make it necessary to make do with what I have on hand.

If you can't make a decent cable how good is your workmanship overall?

That pretty much says it all.

there are peaple that drive home from the bar drunk , succsefully week after week , year after year no prblems at all .

it dosnt make drunk driving a good idea

If you cant drive home drunk , How good are your driving skills overall ?

"im a better driver drunk than most are sober "..weve all heard that statement

SCRAP CRAP patch cables are to me a sign of a poor instalation done by someone not interested in quality or meeting standards .

I think its a fools game to go to the extra effort and expense to pull cat6 cable then put a inferior patch cord in the mix

(psst...just becouse it tests out good today , what happens in 6 months after its been flexed a dozen times ? )

don't use hand-made patch cables by choice - the hoops I have to go through to purchase anything (I work for a state government) make it necessary to make do with what I have on hand.

nope just means your not doing your job , if you need to go thru hoops to do it right then I would go thru the hoops rather than taking the easy way ... but then thats me

There is NOTHING analogous between driving drunk and making cables. One is illegal and the other is not. On the other hand any type of termination work requires manual dexterity. If you can't do a good job on a plug how good a job can you do on a jack?

If there is a standard that says only factory made cables are acceptable please cite it here.

BTW - I don't appreciate your insults "not interested in quality" and I am fairly sure phuzzy42 "not doing your job" doesn't either. This my way or the highway sort of discourse was to blame for a fairly long quiet period on this forum. Please don't take us down that path again.

OK, to throw some kerosene on the fire....

The people who make "factory" cables get paid minimum wages.

Seems to me factory made means very little if you buy from just any factory.

Got to find a good vendor and then stick with him/her.

Certainly molded plugs can have better strain relief versus non molded.

Let the flames roar!

so WIRES you can suggest that my "workmanship overall is lacking " becouse I choose not to make cables but my observation that you your more interested in cutting cost by using SCRAP CRAP than providing a quality job is insulting ?

you guys knock yourelf out grab the tool and crimp away , really dosn't matter to me I may actully be the guy they call out to get things working right .

(BTW factory made cables aretn made by a min wage worker with a 15 crimp tool )

nope just means your not doing your job , if you need to go thru hoops to do it right then I would go thru the hoops rather than taking the easy way ... but then thats me

I'm not going to debate you over the difference in quality between hand-made or factory-made -- your mind is made up and you're entitled to your opinion even though it's wrong.

However, "not doing your job" and "not interested in quality" are slams. Perhaps you've been fortunate enough to be employed only in places that put no budget constraints on you. I don't work in such a place.

If hand crimping a cable is what's needed to get the user online instead of waiting 3 months for the next budget to pass, then I'll hand crimp a cable, test it, and be done with it. If it fails in six months, I'll make another one.

This isn't "a sign of a poor instalation done by someone not interested in quality or meeting standards" - it's how the real world works, not the utopia you seem to exist in. It's not because I want to use "crap" to save money, it's because I have no choice.

Would I rather use factory cables? Of course I would, but if I don't have them nor the budget to buy them, that doesn't change my responsibility to keep the users online. If I go to management and say "It's the factory-made way or the highway," then guess what -I'll be pounding pavement and somebody else will be making those "crap" cables.

And guess what else - you'll never be called here to "get things working right" because they're already working right. The cables I make work just as well as factory-made, whatever your opinions may be.

However, "not doing your job" and "not interested in quality" are slams. Perhaps you've been fortunate enough to be employed only in places that put no budget constraints on you. I don't work in such a place.

and your parroting of wires nose in the air comment is ?

your quote
"If you can't make a decent cable how good is your workmanship overall?"
your 2 cents
"That pretty much says it all."

is a compliment or a "slam" ?

throw mud , expect to get muddy

(I'll bet you will go through whatever hoops necessary to get your vacation days , to get a raise . )

so WIRES you can suggest that my "workmanship overall is lacking " becouse I choose not to make cables but my observation that you your more interested in cutting cost by using SCRAP CRAP"

No.

I am suggesting that it is time to give "scrap is crap" a rest because it is simply not true. I have seen bad workmanship on factory and custom made cables. From my standpoint all patch cables are equally suspect. I would put my cables up to the same level of reliability as factory cables and in fact you cannot tell the difference between mine and ones from Panduit's factory.

If you would just take time to read you would see that I say that custom cables are usually more expensive than factory made ones. I do buy and use factory made cables because they cost the customer LESS than custom work by getting the job done faster. However if I don't have the lengths I need on a job I have no problem making custom cables to fit.

I do wonder how you can assume that a person that can properly wire a jack, patchpanel or punchdown cannot properly wire a plug since the level of difficulty is about the same. This observation is a general question about the concept of skill level not about anyone in particular. I assume your skills are fine while you assume that anyone who makes a custom cable is suspect as evidenced by the following comments.

"not doing your job"

"not interested in quality"

"more interested in cutting cost by using SCRAP CRAP than providing a quality job"

"I may actully be the guy they call out to get things working right ."

"I'll bet you will go through whatever hoops necessary to get your vacation days , to get a raise"

These are direct insults to individual members of this forum and as such are unacceptable. This forum is for the spread of knowledge, not inaccurate truisms and insults.

Long answer:
There is no TIA/EIA Component Specification for a Category 6 plug. There is a specification for a test plug used during de-embedded tests of components, but it is not a commercially available product and is not designed to be used in any portion of a cabling infrastructure.
There is also no such thing as a "Category 3" plug, or a "Category 5" plug, or a "Category 5e" plug. See FCC Rules, 47 C.F.R. Part 68, which defines required characteristics for modular plugs and Terminal Equipment. See also ANSI/TIA/EIA 568 B.2.
Short answer:
Use a plug that conforms to FCC Part 68, manufactured by a company in which you have confidence.
Phil

Scrap Crap is Crazy, you get boots and are competent and the cables test, there is no way anyone except the people who know or are there when you install will know.

FCC 47 C.F.R. Part 68 only applies to components attached to the Public Switched Telephone Network. It is not applicable to LAN usage except possibly on modems.

Manufacturers design their components to perform to various "category" requirements. If you want cat6 performance you need to use cat6 parts.

Short answer:
Use a plug that is designed for the cable you are using that is manufactured by a company in which you have confidence.

Let's see here,
You can buy patch cords in a great many various lengths from 6 inches to 14 feet (the limit is 20 by the way) VERY
cheaply,much more so than the time it takes to measure,cut,terminate and test each one,plus they are factory tested.
(testing with anything more than a simplecontunity tester would be prohibitive in the field if you are making a lot of them),(Besides even many upper grade field testers will not test a length if it is too short).

Not too bad to do your own if you have the time.

When you start getting into fiber cords,then it makes a difference.

I too have made many cords in the field but only when I had to in order to get the job done quickly at the time with no patch cords around.

Besides,you are gonna do what you want to do anyway.

Good Luck

yes the cheap cost of patch cables makes them an idea if you have the time to order... another benefit of making your own is you can make a 12 foot or 16 foot cable to reach a computer that is just too far away from the jack to use a 10 or 15 foot cable comfortably but a 20 foot or 15 would have too much slack cable... there are advantages to both.. sometimes when getting a lot of patch cables ordered misshipments can be made and detected at the last minure which causes problems too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back