Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RJ45's cat5 vs cat6

Status
Not open for further replies.

crooter

Technical User
May 10, 2005
US
any difference in the RJ45? Seems to me I have not seen any CAT6 Rj45's.......anyone know anything different?

well if your using cat 6 cable I would use cat 6 jacks

for cat5e cable cat 5e jacks

there available , do a google search or look on ebay , ask in any supply house or distritor . probably evan have them in the big box stores

here you go , how many do you want

If it is crimp on ends you are looking for, you won't find them. Buy pre-made patch cables and use jacks

Cat6 plugs are available from many vendors:

My preference is Panduit for these sort of parts. They have part number SP688-C which you should be able to get at Graybar. The instruction sheet is here:

Cat6 plugs are a bit more bother but there is no reason a competent technician should not be able to install them properly.

Cat6 has a bigger wire than Cat5e,thus you have to use a Cat6 plug for the RJ-45 connection.

Sorry guys--maybe I mis-wrote, but I am asking if the RJ45 comes in cat5/5e and cat6 flavors--or is it a uni-rj45 that fits all categories?

8-pin 8-position plugs are category rated. As such, you must use a Cat.6 plug if you wish the resulting system to be Cat. 6 compliant.

Look in your favorite suppliers catalog and you'll see different plugs listed for the various categories.

As others point out on this forum frequently, actually making reliable installations of plugs is not always easy, and hence many here recommend buying all patch cables.

For the same reason (as well as meeting the structured cabling standards) most recommend terminating all wiring to jacks, not plugs.

Best of luck!

Ok--I guess I am really terrible n my description-------I thought a plug or modular insert was what went on the faceplate or patch panel, which is rated as Cat5, Cat5E, Cat6, etc----and the RJ45 was what was attached to the end of the patch cables.

I want to know if the RJ45 on the end of the patch cable is rated--not the cable--not the modular plugs or inserts, but the RJ45 clear, sometimes smoked, plastic end that 8 wires fit into and then has to be crimped. Are there cat5 rj45's and cat6 rj45's or are they acceptable for all types or terminatons.

Thanks--sorry to make it difficult

I want to know if the RJ45 on the end of the patch cable is rated"

Yes. You must use a plug rated for the type of installation you are working on. Cat6 is a heaver gauge than Cat3, Cat5 or Cat5e so using the older plugs on Cat6 is not recommended. Additionally some plugs only work on stranded conductors, some only work on solid conductors and some work on both.

A plug is the "male" thing that is typically seen on a patch cable.

A jack is the "female" thing that is part of a patch field or a jack (or Keystone insert). 8-position/8-pin minature modular jacks are generally, but erroneously, referred to as an "RJ-45 jack".

Just as with every other compenent of a Cat. rated structured cabling system carries a rating, so does the 8-position/8-pin minature modular plug (also known erroneously, but ubiquitously, as an "RJ-45 plug").

Have a good weekend :)

Nomenclature seems to be the problem here.
The device you see at the workstation in the faceplate is called a Jack.

The device at the end of the patch cable is called a plug.

Each has to be rated for the type of cable it attaches.

Good luck.

Just joking around above crooter-

Anyhow, as the people above have answered: Yes, there are differences between the cat5e and cat6 "plastic end that 8 wires fit into and then has to be crimped.

Thanks all---I ran some cat6 rated rj45 "plugs" on a Cat6 cable and then I put some cat5e rated plugs on the same cable. Tested it with a Fluke dsp4000 ---- for cat6----both passed for cat6.

I ran some cat6 rated rj45 "plugs" on a Cat6 cable and then I put some cat5e rated plugs on the same cable. Tested it with a Fluke dsp4000 ---- for cat6----both passed for cat6."

The fact it passed is somewhat meaningless.

Several years ago Continental Airlines was found to be using common black plumbing fittings in some hydraulic lines of their airplanes. Needless to say these "bootleg" parts passed all tests but got them in considerable trouble with the FAA. The bottom line is that these parts were not engineered, manufactured or inspected for use in airplanes.

When you knowingly go against spec you get in the trouble you deserve.

Like I said before, cat6 and cat5 use different wire sizes. Since the sizes are different and contact is made by IDC methods you are likely to experience problems using a cat5 connector on cat6 cables. The problems may not be apparent on every connection or consistent over time.

Excellent point--thats why I asked for differences---I would rather use correct practices

well if your intent is correct practices there really is no need for plugs .

your cable should be terminated to jack on one end patch panel on the other and you should be using factory made patch cords patch panel to switch and jack to workstation.

i do carry a high end crimp tool and plugs but rarly use it and then just as a temporary soultion

Customer waived purchasing company manufactured patch cables and wanted custom fitted cables for their work/test areas

I would not have offred it as a option on something I was going to put my name on .

I think you will find if you price it out factory cables will be the same or cheaper than "scrap crap " site made .

long term how many service calls for bad cables will it take before the customer looks for a new vendor ?

Good point---never the less---they are aware of the choices and they chose a custom cable. I am giving them a 1 year warranty on the rj45 plugs and one re-cert. So sometimes you just do what customer wants and you live with it. I think we all have conceded to the customers wants and needs at least once. Haven't you Skip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back