Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Riva TNT2 M64 + original windows 95 = crash on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi. I have a P200, 48mb ram with windows 95 and windows 2000 installed upon it. I have today attempted to upgrade from an S3 Virge to a Riva TNT M64. But I've had the following results :

- any attempt under windows 95 (the very original, not OSR2) to use the NVidia drivers causes the system to crash. i.e. if I install the drivers then restart, then the system resets itself at the point where it should display my windows desktop. This is using the drivers that came with the card on CD and the latest versions. If I want windows 95 to ever get as far as a desktop, I have to reboot in safe mode and switch to the Standard VGA graphics driver

- using only the drivers that came on the CD, without trying the latest, windows 2000 decided that the 2000 install file (the .inf) listed no graphics cards and instead seems to have installed the NT 4.0 drivers (?), giving me a desktop and a full selection of resolutions and bit depths, plus nice DirectDraw performance (I assume this comes free with decent GDI drivers?), but no Direct3d or OpenGL acceleration.

Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back