Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCNEH

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
GB
Quite happy with a new RIS server and I'm just playing around with images at the moment.

One question though, I'd be suprised if microsoft allow you to buypass it but...

Is there a workaround to slip stream a username organisation and software key into the image?

cheers,
steven

Yes for the software, modify the answer file with the information you want. On the RIS server you can specify what OU RIS clients are associated with.

See this link for resources:

As for a username and organization, they are not associated with RIS.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Hello,

Thanks for that but i'm still a little puzzled I've created the answer file and specified the product ID (windows serial number) and user and organization name.

Now, how to I intergrate this text file into images currently on the RIS server for workstations.

Also, I'm only using it for 6 PC's and wish to specify there computer names, can I do this by relating them to there MAC addresses, i.e. machine 1 - mac address 00-00-00-00-00-00 machinename1

Thanks for the help.
steven

Sorry for the delayed response. I have been out of town.

To answer your 1st question, I would cut and paste the generic parts of the answser file to a txt document. Starting from the [Unattended] section. Thats what I did and that way I didn't have to plug all my info into the various images.

When you run the riprep.exe on the client, a default answer file is created. It can be found in the images I386 folder under Templates and named rippref.sif.

As for question two, you can configure the RIS server to name the computer based upon MAC in the setup features of the server. That can be found in AD Users and Computers if you were to right click on the RIS server and select properties. You have several options, choose the one you want.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back