Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIS/WDS prevent computer account creation in AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niavlys

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2002
CA
Hi,
I use WDS (Windows Deployment Service) on a Windows 2003 Server in Mixed mode (more like RIS). I use this ONLY to take advantage of the PXE Boot service. I boot in a Symantec/Ghost RIS image that allow me to use Ghost to deploy a large amount of computers.
If you ask me why I'm using Ghost I will answer that it is MUCH faster than a full RIS install.

My problem is that WDS/RIS default behavior is to create a computer account in Active Directory, which is useless because these computers will not be part of the domain. I need to get rid of this because once in a while, when RIS booting, I get a Duplicate GUID, or Duplicate name error message which is impossible because I'm using the MAC address in the naming of these computers.

Thanks!

You will have to find another boot manager. Doesn't Symantec supply one with Ghost?

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Yes there is 3Com boot manager but it is deprecated and no more supported since a couple of years. I tried it but it wasn't working across subnets.

I use RIS because Ghost has a functionality to create a RIS boot image that's really useful.

Thanks anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back