Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIS Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olusayo

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2005
NG
Hi All,

After I installed RIS from Control Panel on a DNS, DHCP enabled domain server, I created a CD-Based RIS image.

I set the Remote Install on the active Dir users and computers to enable any client machine to install.

I set the start-up to boot from network in the BIOS.

When I started the client, after several seconds trying to boot from network, it changes to boot from second boot option (Hard disk).

Kindly let me know what I need to do to enable the client boot from network.

Thanks.

Olusayo

Hi there.
Do you get to the point where you are asked to press F12 to boot from the network?

Thanks,

Yes, I got to the point where the system prompted to press f12 to boot from the network.

When I press F12, it indicated as if it will boot from network for some seconds before moving to the second boot device (Hard disk)to look for the OS.

Yoour help on this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Olusayo

Thanks,

How do I know if my NIC PXE Compactible? Besides all my clients machine are IBM laptops that do not support disket drive.

Thanks.

Olusayo

Hi there.
If the NIC is PXE capable then you don't need a PXE Boot Disk, you only need that if it isn't PXE Capable. Either check the documentation or the manufacturers website.

Hi,

Thank you very much.

My NIC is PXE compactible. I still don't know why its not working.

Thanks

OK. Have you added the drivers for your NIC to your RIS image?
After doing this you need to stop and then start the Boot Information Negotiation Layer using these commands from a Command Prompt:
"Net Stop BINLSVC"
"Net Start BINLSVC"

Hi

Had a simular problem with a Dell PC today, and it turns out that in bios I was able to enable the network card with or without PXE.

Got to worth a look

Hi edie209 - yeah you need to do that. Usually there are three options:

1. On
2. Off
3. On With PXE

Thank you MrTBC,

Please can you tell me how I to add NIC driver to RIS image.

Thank you very much

Olusayo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back