Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIS and Ghosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellboy

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
GB
Has anyone successfully used a Ghost image over RIS and a .sif answer file, if so how? Can you point in the direction of good sites/articles

I have started playing with RIS and got it too work, hooray. I can install the W2k OS over RIS without any problems, I have started to investigate editing the .sif and this seems fairly successfully, (see chapter 4 p170 of Minasi, Mastering Windows 2000 Server if you're interested).

For what I consider to be the perfect prebuilt install solution I want to build a machine, image it, copy the image to the server and then create a .sif, boot from the RIS and choose the ghosted image.

Problem 1
How do you get Ghost to work properly, I only have an evaulation copy, off the Microsoft Win2000 Server Admin companion, and none of the multicast assist ghost options work. There is no option for the NIC 3Com 3C905B card, the machines only 9 months old and Microsoft provide a boot option for the RIS, but Symantec appear not to!!!

Working on the theory that I eventually get the image onto the server and create the answer .sif file how do I get prompted which one I want to use.

As you can see I have the books but need someone help, someone who's done this before, other than these slight problems its working :)

Cheers

We have been using Windows 2000 RIS and Ghost images for some time now. It works very well if you download the Free Ris Menu editor from 3com.
IF you have PXE compliant machines they will boot into RIS menu which will call up the 3COM menu editor.

In the 3Com RIS menu editor you can place a image of a boot disk.

If you need boot disk you can look at
Once the boot disk is called it will run and attach you to ghost, which will then allow you to pick the image you want to use or allow you to save an image to the server.

Hope this helps.
First try to find the menu editor it is not allways at 3com you may have to search for it.

If you can't find it anywhere i may be able to send you a copy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back