Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Riptide-Chameleon drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karen36bc

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
PK
Where might I find the combo pack audio/modem (riptide-chameleon) drivers for an HP 6640C?
It seems as though on this type of model the original drivers would have to come off the recovery disc which I don't have and the only drivers I've found from the HP site are updates for the already installed drivers from this recovery disc. The OS is Win98SE.
Thanks for your help.

I've found these links, can anyone make heads or tails of these?

Try this one:
If it's truly a Riptide, and not a Chameleon, then try this one: It doesn't matter what model you have, all Riptide drivers are the same for all HP models.
All Chameleon drivers are not. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I've read this article again and it seems the answer was right there in front of me. Here is the description from the article:
DriverGuide.com: riptide-chameleon-w982k.exe 23MB
Windows 98 and Windows 2000 driver for the Smart Modular Technologies Riptide Chameleon combo sound/modem card with Rockwell chipset. This file is almost 23MB, and contains the **complete driver set for this combo card. Taken from the HP restore disk** Card P/N: 90079-2. 0¿0

Yes the correct chipset names are Riptide (HCF based) then Chameleon (HSF/Soft56 based)... but many of the Chameleon drivers keep refering to Riptide. So with the way the people providing the drivers have done things, calling the first chipset/card just Riptide (*no* Chameleon), and the second chipset/card Riptide-Chameleon can actually help to reduce the confusion.

Allen

PS. The updated URL to my driver summary for these cards is:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back