Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIP v.2+Discontigious subnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcolmer25

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
IE
Hi,

Just a quick one about RIP Ver 2 as its been long time since i used it. When specifying networks do i just specify all my interfaces network addresses and if i am using Discontigious subnets eg. 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.0 do i have to use a "No auto-summary" command so it does not summarise subnet. Not sure if i am answering my own question but its been a while.
Also if anyone had some sample configs Using RIP v.2 using discontigious subnets i would appreciate it if you could post up so i can refresh the memory.
Thanks
Max

Max, you have answered your own question, use the `no auto-summary' option under the routing process, then deploy your subnets as required.
RIP v2 passes the mask info with the updates (same as OSPF and EIGRP) which overcomes the automatic summatisation in your type of setup that occurrs with RIP v1.

Thanks routerman, had to check as it been a while.

Max, I know what you mean, I cannot remember the last time I saw a network running either version of RIP.
Oops, thats tempting fate, the next problem I'm given may be.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back