Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ringing voltage output of the Bogen Multicom 2000 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

timb58470

Technical User
Feb 13, 2012
CA
Could someone please tell me what analogue telephones are compatible with the Bogen multicom 2000 system?
I know any standard phone will function okay, but will not ring because of the 90 volt ringers.
What phones will ring, and what is the ringing voltage specification of the Bogen system?
Thanks,
Tim

Most standard phones "are" 90 20hz. The Bogan detects the ring on the outer pins of a RJ-11 line cord, ie,, Y/BK.
If you are after ringing over paging send the ring voltage to those pins.

If its not working, get a bigger hammer!

Avaya/Nortel/NEC/Asterisk/Access Control/CCTV/DSX/Acti/UCx

Here is the install man. in case you don't have it.........

Always look out for the next guy because it may be you!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cilcomm.com%2Fimages%2FBogen_MC2k_Install_manual.pdf&ei=fghxUuyrDs6prAfIj4GgDA&usg=AFQjCNF1fDm5sDxjH2b7jxfivjwm452LUg&bvm=bv.55617003,d.bmk
Thanks for the reply, but maybe I didn't
state my question right. I know that
standard analogue sets work on 90 volt 20 hz
ringing and I know what pair to use for the
tip and ring. The problem is Bogen
doesn't push out 90/20 so the phone
doesn't ring. I want to know what voltage
the Bogen system sends out and what model
of phone will ring, or what ringer I can
modify my phones with.
Thanks,
Tim

OK, so hang on. The ring gen is going to be supplied from your dial tone source, no? Whether it be POTS or PBX extensions, or did I miss something? Help me understand this better. Thanks.

Always look out for the next guy because it may be you!

The Bogan doesn't push out a ring voltage. It only sends out audio in response to what you use to control or page with. Then it controls the output to the zones from the amplifier.

I'm not sure what the bogen system sends
out. I just know that a ringer inside the
Modified phones ring, but if you replace
the phone with a standard analogue phone
it won't ring. And yes, the ring is sent
through the tip and ring pair just like any
other analogue phone. I would just like to
know what type of ringer is in the modified
phones. Or of you know of a model number
of a phone they will ring.

Sorry. Meant to say IF you know of a model number
Of a phone THAT will ring

Just to clarify for folks - with Multicom system, there are classroom phones that look like standard wall or desk phones but have modified pizo ringers. I believe Bogen sends 12V modified square wave ring. We always bought the phones from Bogen (MCESS or MCWESS) as they just worked. These are "enhanced staff stations" in Multicom parlance.

My apologies, I had the wrong system in mine. Forget what I said. My sometimers was showing again.

Reading this 6 months late so you likely have your answer.
I haven't scoped the voltage from the Bogen, but I would agree with mforrence.
The piezo in the phone then does its faint warble. The piezo is wired across the tip/ring before the hookswitch. We have modified standard analog phones by disconnecting the normal ringer, and connecting the piezo across the line. you could put it in the jack if you like. The piezo in the ones I have seen is a Mallory PT-2038WQ, Digikey 458-1252-ND $1.29 CDN.
I hope this helps.
If anyone knows of a way to make it louder, that would be handy.
Roddy

Thanks Roddy, I'll look for those
Model numbers you mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back