Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ringing line preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

codasco

Technical User
Jun 28, 2003
US
3x8 DR5.....is there any way to turn off ringing line preference so that I can pick up and get an intercom dial tone while the phone is ringing (on an outside line) rather than having to answer the call? I haven't seen anything like this in programming, but I find it hard to believe that my old Comdial Executech could do this and a newer, digital Nortel system can't.

prime line to none then you pick line out or prime line to line pool...place all lines into a line pool first.

Pat Guido
NEXTIRAONE
Pat.guido@nextiraone.com

Formerly Nextira, formerly Williams Communications, formerly Wiltel, formerly Nortel networks, formerly Northern Telecom, formerly, Nynex meridian systems formerly Northern Telecom.

Unforunately there is no way to override the ringing line preference. Only solution is to use an aux ringer on the lines and set all phones to no ringing.

I can't believe Nortel would leave out the option to turn ringing preferece off! Oh well......I may be buying an old Vodavi 96EX anyway, which looks like it will be just as nice as my norstar (except that it's not digital).

Codasco i am a comdial/nortel tech here is what you do set all line to appear only on your ext. and set prime line to ICM that should fixed your problem.

If your phones must have ringing lines and one is ringing, you could just press the IC key before picking up the handset. You won't answer the ringing call and you get IC dialtone.

DueE

Yeah, it is sort of annoying though....doesn't matter, looks like I'll definitely be getting that Vodavi.

In my experiance there is always something one system can do and another can't. For instance there is alot of things a Nitsuko can do that a Norstar can't. But would I ever recommend purchasing a Nitsuko. The Answer is NO. With the Norstar system you get reliability, easy to administer, and program. Not to mention that so many companies work on these products, you should never get price gouged on upgrades.

It would be nice to see Nortel to have nailed down all the features in so many years of engineering.

Yeah, I agree.......especially since (in my experience) Nortel seems to be one of the more expensive manufacturers, seond only to Avaya. Which makes me wonder why someone wouldn't just spend the extra money for a Partner when it does have more little details "nailed down" and also supports single line devices without having to buy an ATA, as well as being reliable. ...I dunno, everything has its advantages and disadvantages...in the furture i'll just look more carefully at a system before I buy.

codasco

I do want to share a bit of information with you. You mention the Vodavi 96EX as the system that you have decided on and I am curious how you have gone from a Norstar 3x8 to a "Boat Anchor" 96EX telephone system? Do you only need 3 lines and 8 telephones and are just getting a good deal on the Vodavi? That switch has a monster Contol Unit with individual cards for each function and I'm telling you if you ever have trouble with that 96EX you'll wish like heck that you had that little 3X8 hanging on the wall instead. Just a thought or two!

No, I don't need the size of the 96ex...but I do want the flexibility and expandibility of it. I have an analog voicemail system that I am trying to get to work on the N*, but of course there's no hope of inband signaling with just an ATA. I found a great deal on the 96ex (will be much cheaper than buying a Nortel VMI) and sets (even the rare green starplus sets) that will work perfectly with my VM. DISA would be kinda nice also.....it just seemed that overall, despite it's age, the Vodavi does a little more than the Nortel, and I can buy the Vodavi for less than I can sell the Nortel.

codasco

Two options.

Make sure all sets are prime line intercom.
If you have full line appearance then you can get away with assigning only one intercom path.
For each handset activate the dialpad by pressing feature *82 and selecting automatic dial.
If your sets have access to pool A then you can dial out while the phone is ringing by pressing 9.

Option 2

Make sure all sets are prime line Pool A.
If you have full line appearance then you can get away with assigning only one intercom path.
For each handset activate the dialpad by pressing feature *82 and selecting automatic dial.
If your sets have access to pool A then you can dial out while the phone is ringing by dialing your telephone number.

Both options work better if full automatic handsfree is assigned to your set.
You can dial out hot via handsfree and when the called party connects pick up the handset.

codasco:

What product (Analog Voicemail) do you have? I've install several of the 96EX and the inband integration isn't bad.

Well I don't have it yet (some red tape getting the equipment released from the School District that owns it)...but I will have a 96ex. I was very impressed with the features it has, especially for an older system. The inband integration is perfect for my application (using NCH Swift Soft's IVM Answering Attendant...excellent piece of software, and FREE in some cases). I'm new to Vodavi, so maybey you can answer some questions for me.....I know for the VM I need the SLT board, but I read that there are other boards required to make single line devices actually work. What boards do I need? Also, what boards do I need for DISA?

Codasco:

You are correct that you will need a SIB (Singleline Interface Board) that will plug into a vacant slot and I think that they are 8 ports per card. You'll also have to get a Starplus ring generator that mounts seperate from the KSU and has a cable that extends into the KSU for the connection. That's it for voicemail and DISA only requires programming.

The reason that I asked about the brand of voicemail is because many of the manufacturers have worked out the configuration settings for the most common telephone systems and that simplifies the install when you can choose the system type and the parameters are preloaded into the voicemail platform. For example, Duvoice and Keyvoice both have on their web page a list of systems compatable with their product and you can download the set up specs per telephone system. You may want to check with your vmail software company and see if they have anything like that for the 96ex.

Unfortuneatly, my VM does not have a set of defaults for Vodavi...but it's not too terrible to set up.

I though I read somewhere that in addition to the ring generator and SIB, you need an application board, or something like that. Is this something that susually comes standard with the KSU, or do I need to get it sperately...or do I need it at all?

You may have a point as I thought the applications board had to be in the system but you may be right. I'll check this in the manual and get back to you on it but I do think that you are correct with the APL board! Are you having to purchase these items after you get the system or does the system already have Vmail and have them included? Before Vodavi started selling their systems through Graybar they made a few systems for Executone that look almost exactly the same except none of the cards are interchangable or telephones. Anyway, I've found over the years that when you go to purchase the cards needed for vmail intergration, the secondary market sellers know what your doing and you tend to pay 3 times more for the SL card than you paid for the entire antiquated telephone system. Anyway it's the old supply and demand thing. Example: I added vmail to an Executone ECX 36/72 where they had the vmail from a branch that closed. The single line card cost me $325.00 just for that one part. My point is that I could have gotten the KSU full of CO and Station cards for that amount. Good luck and I will get you the APL information.

The equipment is coming straight out of use in a large lot, some had Amanda voice mail already. I had already said I wanted a SL board, so hopefully the guy I'm buying it from (via another telecom forum) will include the APL board.

The lot also had some of the rarer green sets. I would like to get a DLS console to match, but all I've found online are the red/black/gray DLS's. Any clue where to find a green one?

As it turns out, there is going to be a 3 week delay getting the KSU and sets released from the school district that owns it. I'll probably wait the 3 weeks...but if anyone has a 96ex and some sets available now I'd like to know. I may be interested if the price is somewhat comparable to what I already found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back