Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ringer-off timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInTexas

Technical User
Feb 14, 2012
US
Have been unable to get the "ringers-off" timer to work properly.

So far I have:
-assigned one phone (reception) as the "control telephone"
-ensured the phone is "direct-dial", I think that was one requirement
-set the desired hours that we want the ringing to stop (1800-0900) and
made sure the other service modes (Evening, Lunch) do not overlap these
hours.

This set (the control set) will display "Nite" mode, but the phones all still ring including this one!

What am I missing?

Advise if you need any other specs or information:

Norstar M8x24DS
NT5B20FC-93 on computer
NT5B49FA-93 0400749520 on the software 'cartridge'

If a line is programmed to ring on a phone in normal ringing day mode, it will always ring regardless of the current service modes.

Ringing services ADD phones to ring to the above statement.

The only way to change this is to only use ringing services one for "day" and one for "night".

Marv

Reverse the day and night, be in night mode in the day and vice versa.

By going in day mode at night you can select the ringing phones.

I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around the possibility that I have reversed the ring timing.
If so, the phones should not ring at least part of the day.
However, they are ringing 24/7.

I may need a step by step walk through of what options and settings to make the phones stop as desired.
Anyone up for that?
Thanks.

Set up night service but put the auto times for let's say 8-5.

Now what ever is appear and ring and/or ring will ring + the phones you added in night mode.

Now when in day mode 5pm-8am only the phones that are appear and ring and/or ring will ring.

Still not working right.
I will write down the settings changes I have made, see if you can spot the problem.

F**2364623646 to access the menu.
press Next til> 6. "Service Modes" shows up.
press Show> Control Sets displayed
press Next> Name1:Night is displayed
press Change> Name1:_ is displayed.
press Next> Setting:Auto is displayed.
press Next> Start time: 17:00
press Next> Stop time: 09:00
Next> Trunk answer:N> Extra-dial:None> Show line

Lunch and Evening are set to Off.

It shows "Night Service" on the set I have been working with, the others display the time as... 17:15 right now.
The phones are ringing, this one and the other 6.

I figure with the Night mode selected, and Auto selected, and the time being between 17:00 and 09:00 shouldn't they not ring?

Thanks!

All your post shows is you are turning on a NIght Service at 5pm and off at 9am. But you fail to mention what phones are ringing during Day Mode (9am-5pm). These phones will ALWAYS ring. Please read my post above!!!

I think it's time to call in a pro.

Marv

Marv, thank you for your reply.
You ask about what phones are ringing during "Day" mode. When you refer to Day mode do you mean the times other than 'Night', 'Evening', and 'Lunch'? Those are the only three modes offered in the menu.

In any case, I failed to mention which phones are ringing in day mode. I did say all the phones are ringing 24/7. That is the problem, they all ring, all the time. Day, night lunch, can't stop the ringing. We want to stop the ringing at least at night.

Then you say the phones will always ring. No comprende. Are you saying we cannot adjust when they ring?

I did read all the posts on this thread but need any specific instructions anyone can offer to adjust the times the phones ring.

As far as calling in an expert, here is the situation. No experts out here, we are 200 miles from the nearest city. The phone system is owned by a Humane Society who has little spare cash to spend on experts anyway - they use all available $ to help animals in need, and they do it very well I might add! I am just a friend trying to learn about their system and help them through various problems. The phone system was a generous donation by an animal-loving benefactor. Installation was done on a pro-bono basis too.

Check out their website:

Thanks for helping them help animals!

Yes, Day mode aka Normal Ringing is any time other than Night, Lunch or Evening. Phones that are programmed to ring during normal operation. That is to say, when there is no ringing service active, will continue to ring when a ringing service activated. Ringing Services such as Night Evening or Lunch can only ADD phones to ring. They do not/can not stop Normal ringing phones.

So to create your scenario you will have turn off the ringing phones in Day Mode by going into Configuration > Sets > Ringing and set each line on each phone No Ringing.

Then create a Night Service Ringing Group that includes all of the phones you want to ring during the day. Now reverse the activation time so that Night Service is on from 9am to 5pm and off at night.

Marv

Thank you so much for the instructions! I hope to get away from my job later today to go over & see if I can try it out.
Much appreciated; will report back.
Dave

>>So to create your scenario you will have turn off the >>ringing phones in Day Mode by going into Configuration > >>Sets > Ringing and set each line on each phone No >>Ringing.

I was able to stop the ringing on the control phone in reception today using your instructions:
Config > 2.LineAccess > "221" (control set)> Ringing > Line 001:No Ring and Line 002:No Ring (there are only 2 lines here)
This made the one phone quit ringing. All the other sets ring.

>>Now reverse the activation time so that Night Service >>is on from 9am to 5pm and off at night.

I thought I would work with this one set for now rather than set up a group of phones.

I tried setting Night Service to On:0900 and Off:1700 and AUTO selected, then tested it. (The Lunch and Evening settings are Off as well.) This phone does not ring, the others are still ringing.
I switched it back to On:1700 and Off:0900, exact same result.
I took it back to On:0900 and Off:1700, and tried "Manual" and then "Off" instead of "Auto" and each time, this phone does not ring.
Then I tried Manual and used "Feature 87" and still no joy.

I Can't make this phone ring now!

I think the easier way to go about this is to ask what they want the phones to do. What extensions should ring during the day? What extensions should ring at night? After you tell us that, we will be able to tell you the easiest way to accomplish it.

There are two steps to setting up a Ringing Service.

You've figured out how to turn it on and off, that's great, but you haven't told the system which phones you want to ring. By default there are none programmed.

Under the Service Mode > setting scroll until you get to Ringing Sets. This is a line by line programming where you tell the system for each line which phones you want to ring.

Marv

I think the easier way to go about this is to ask what they want the phones to do. What extensions should ring during the day? What extensions should ring at night? After you tell us that, we will be able to tell you the easiest way to accomplish it."

Sure, they want all the sets to ring normally during office hours but not ring when they are at the place tending to the animals after office hours.
So: Ring from 9am -5pm; and NoRing 5pm-9am
Thanks!

So what they were telling you is really the only way to accomplish it. You will need to go extension by extension and remove the ringing from every set. Just like you did it for extension 221, do it for all others. Once this is done you will have a set up that doesn't ring. You will use this "normal" mode as your night service. In order to make the phones ring during the day, you will need to set up night service in the system, even though you will be using it for the day. Set up the times as 9am to 5pm and assign all the extensions to a particular ring group. Set the lines to use that ring group at night.

Under the Service Mode > setting scroll until you get to Ringing Sets."

I am in: 6. Service Modes and the only options are:

Control Sets > Show line:_ Line001:221 Line002:221
Name1:Night Setting:Auto
Name2:Evening Settings:Off
Name3:Lunch Settings:Off
whereupon it then scrolls to 7. Password

This version does not have any other options in) 6. Service Modes.
I just don't see 'Ringing Sets' in that menu!

"You will need to go extension by extension and remove the ringing from every set."

I thought I would just try to get this one set to ring properly and do all the others later. Is that unworkable?

"assign all the extensions to a particular ring group. Set the lines to use that ring group at night."

I just scrolled through every last menu item available under all these headings.....
A Configuration
B General Administration
C Set Copy
D Maintenance
....and I did not see anywhere in there the option to select Ring Groups.
This is an older Norstar system, could that be the problem?

If you don't turn off the ringing on each set they will always ring no matter what the service mode says. You seem to be having trouble setting up the ring group, and assigning that ring group to the lines. I got into norstar programming after the old programming style you have, and don't have it memorized. I believe you can still program ring groups on that older model, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone else will know. How many phones are out there? Maybe for now until you are able to program the night service, just program do not disturb buttons on the phones, and press them all at night. If there aren't that many phones it's not too bad.

......"The phone system was a generous donation by an animal-loving benefactor"

I bet he Hates Cats :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back