Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ringdown/Hotline How To Documents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtlepuke

Technical User
Jan 9, 2008
US
Can anyone direct me to an Avaya doc that spells out the process of setting up a ringdown for a SIP phone? I have found some entries in a 46XX settings file on the boot server, but I'd like some bonafide Avaya instructions to help it make sense. Thanks!

I don't see much in those instructions.
In my settings file, I'm seeing MAC addresses for phones entered. Anyone know how this all fits together for a hotline?

Ah, Sorry.

There are two ways to configure the Hotline (Ringdown) for Avaya SIP phones.
1. Use the Avaya AADS server to set a specific settings file for that phone.
2. Manually edit your 46xxsettings.txt file.

Someone else can give you far more details on AADS. I know it's all there but I find it more of an art than a science.

To set things manually, search for HOTLINE in the settings file.

Code:
## HOTLINE specifies zero or one hotline number.
##  Valid values can contain up to 30 dialable characters (0-9, *, #). "," is used for one second delay.
##  The default value is null (""). When Hotline is configured, then any off hook event will dial to the number specified in HOTLINE. No option to dial to other numbers.
##  This parameter is supported by:
##       Avaya Vantage Connect Application SIP R2.2.0.0 and later; no access to Avaya Vantage Connect settings menus. 
##       J139/J159/J169/J179/J189 SIP R4.1.1.0 and later
##       96x1  SIP  R6.2 and later
## SET HOTLINE ""
##
## HOTLINE_CALL_TYPE specifies whether hotline call type is audio or video.
##  Value  Operation
##    0    Audio Call (default)
##    1    Video Call
##       Avaya Vantage Connect Application SIP R2.2.0.0 and later
## SET HOTLINE_CALL_TYPE 1
##
## HOTLINE_ADMIN_MESSAGE specifies admin's message displayed on dialer screen when Hotline is activated (HOTLINE <>"").
## Valid values: On K165/K175 - up to 255 characters. On K155 - up to 68 characters.
## The default value is "Lift handset to place a call to Hotline number".
##       Avaya Vantage Connect Application SIP R2.2.0.0 and later
## SET HOTLINE_ADMIN_MESSAGE "Hello. This is a test message."

You enable the line ## SET HOTLINE "" by removing the two hash marks and entering the destination extension. If you ONLY do that then every phone that reboots will pick up that setting and become a hotline. I recommend avoiding that.

It's probably easiest to create an IP Phone Group and assign that number to the phone. Pick an unused Group ID (I'll use 5 in this example). Search in the settings file for "GROUP_5" and add your Hotline setting:

Code:
# GROUP_5
##########  Add SET Statements for GROUP 5 below  ############

[highlight #FCE94F]SET HOTLINE "12345"[/highlight]

################ END OF GROUP 5 SETTINGS #####################
GOTO END

You can find the IP Phone Group ID on page 3 of the station form in CM. Enter "5", save, and reboot the phone. That phone, and any other SIP phone you add to Group 5, will become Ringdown/Hotline phones to that specific number. You can create different groups for different destinations, if desired.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back