Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ring volumne on 5410

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffjones58

Technical User
Apr 15, 2004
US
IP Office 406 DS
Rel. 4.0.(7)

Customers complain of loud ringing volume that will not retain lower
volume settings. The users are having to manually lower the ringing volume
on 5410 sets after every call. The ringing volume goes back to the loudest setting
for each new call. Rebooted system. System upgrade not an option at this time.

It just started doing this recently and seemingly without cause.

Any ideas?

Well as you can't re-write the firmware code and you say you can't upgrade you leave no room for a possible fix really, only thing you can do is re programme or change the hardware. But 4.0 was so bug filled it wasn't funny so you may wish to reconsider your upgrade stance :)

"No problem monkey socks

Thanks.
The system was recently rebooted with Manager 8.1 running on a laptop connected to the LAN port.
Is it possible that the phones could have downloaded a higher and incompatible firmware from the 8.1 Manager?
If so, is it possible to downgrade the 5410 firmware back to a level compatible with the old Rel. 4.0 software the
system is currently running?

The firmware level on the system (40.07) dictates what upgrade/firmware file the handsets look for, they will not take a file that is too high for the system version just because it is available, even if you wanted them to :)

"No problem monkey socks

Thanks for the input. I keep looking or I guess they either live with it or upgrade.

Did you confirm that this is actually happening? Have you tried it yourself, or just taking the user's word for it?

Idea: Maybe the user doesn't actually know how to lower the volume on the ringing.

If a user has never seen it done before, that's not very intuitive that one volume control, controls the volume for 3 different sounds, different ringing.

I don't think it's intuitive, at first, that: You have to lower the volume WHILE the phone is RINGING. I could easily see a user pressing the down volume button after the ringing has stopped, so they're not actually lowering the ringing volume.

Does the user has a *RINGER shortcode? These were for DT phones but I have seen them on 24xx and 54xx phones as well.

These are the values for it:

*RINGER a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j
a = 1st ring tone 0 = off 15 = maximum
b = 2nd ring tone 0 = off 15 = maximum
c = ringer rhythm from 0 to 15
d = ringer volume van 0 (off) to 63(max)
e = ring volume steps 0 = off 1 = small steps 2 = large steps
f = internal calls 0 = off 1 = normal 2 = autom.answ.
g = external call 0 = off 1 = normal 2 = autom.answ.
h = dialling 0 = show status called extn 1 = ring when free
i = Volume handsfree 0 = min 14 = max
j = volume handset 0 = min 15 = max

I have seen this with earlier versions of IPO and 5410's. This is not a user issue. I had a R3.2 that would reset ring volume after every call. We upgraded them to R4.2 and it stopped after every call, but would still reset ring volume every night so each morning they would come in and the ringer would be loud again. Change it, and it would be good for the day.

I don't think this was an issue with R5 though, so if you can, upgrade them to R5.

I have a 2410 and a 5410 on my 8.1 system and no problem here.
I had them also on every release since 3.2 and never had that issue so I am not sure that this is a particular 4.07 bug but when in doubt you can always go to the latest 4.0 release for testing.
Check what firmware the phones are (found in Selftest) your phones should be release 5.0 if I remember correctly

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Interrupt the silence only if you improve it by saying something, otherwise be quiet and everybody will be grateful.

I do have customers in all software levels and using the 54xx series phones and I am not aware of any ever had this problem.
I checked our service system and we never had a complaint like this.
So it is either a software mismatch or a user fault as as Westi suggests or the phone have to be replaced.

Upgraded to a higher 4 release and the problem has disappeared. Must have just been a glitch in the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back