Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ring External Phone Number

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfoTechEE

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2010
US
We are trying to set up our Meridian CS1000 with its current software version can support this:

We want to be able to ring an internal extension and an external phone number at the exact same time then if neither answers the Nortel Voicemail would pickup.

Our software is Nortel Meridian 1 Option 11c running on release 25.40b

Yes I know it is an old dog...

You could just get a Google number - those can ring many numbers at once. You create a Phantom, DCFW to the Google Number, then you tell the Google number to ring the internal DID and external number when it is called (i.e. when you dial the Phantom) Google takes over ringing the numbers you want.

But to do it in the Nortel without getting Google involved, you need PCA. Per the feature guide: Personal Call Assistant (PCA) allows the simultaneous ringing of clients with different Directory Numbers (DNs). The clients do not have to be located on the same switch.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com | Connect with me on LinkedIn
--

The only problem with the Google number is the caller ID. We need to have the original callers ID # displayed on the phone.

How would the goolge number display the original callers ID? If we are forwarding to a google #, then the google # would be calling us, correct?

Our goal is to have both the nortel ext and a VoIP softphone (VoIP system located in another office) to ring at the same time. We are looking to do this so we can use a TAPI driver from the softphone and be able to pass the callers ID to a database to look up the customers information. Basically trying to make an inexpensive CTI system...

We wanted to do that at our site, ended up adding a "trixbox" or astrisks pbx and linking it to our cs1000 via a pri card and crossover cable... We now do all of our conference bridges out of the trixbox as well as "follow me" that you want to do.. I dont use the trixbox for anything else but the bells and whistles. the only cost was a TMDI card i had laying around and a PCI PRI card for the trixbox server...

Forgot to mention we do all of our faxing via the trixbox too, we now have multiple pri's linking the two systems, but i guess you could use sip trunks if you have the licenses and no hardware cost...

That is insteresting to hear Pir8, I wonder if our current software release would give any problems. As for licenseing we do not have any for VoIP. I am assuming that all calls come into the trixbox then are handed off to the Nortel system correct? We do already have a TMDI card in our system, so I guess that is a good thing.

Well you would need an EXTRA tmdi card that isnt in use for your pri's or T-1 trunks.. All the trixbox does is basically the same thing as the Central Office to your NORTEL.. but your nortel is the CO in this case and the trixbox is the customer... Basic thinking. Its not new to link two different pbx's. I honestly dont trust the trixbox to be a main PBX but its well worth linking it to a good pbx for the "bells and whistles" my desk phone is a trixbox SIP phone.. The bells and whistles i mention are:

free - Fax server
free - Conference bridge (with domain user login)
free - sip phones/trunks

To answer your question, yes i have calls routing to the trixbox as distant steering codes. for example my desk is extension 3773 so i have a DSC setup in nortel of 3773 and create an extension in trixbox of 3773 and poof...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back