Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rim Blackberry Exchange Not Communicating

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistos

IS-IT--Management
Jun 22, 2001
US
We are running Exchange Server 5.5 which goes out and downloads from one Mindspring POP3 account. This POP3 account has several aliases which are maintained by Mindspring. The aliases allow us to have yourname@xxx.com as opposed to yourname@mindspring.com. Exchange server then ditributes the mail to the mailboxes. When users (mobile or local) log in to the network via VPN the messages are then shown on on there outlook.

I am looking to setup the mobile users with RIM's. I need the RIM to connect to my exchange server and download the e-mail in the mailbox for that user and also leave a copy in the mailbox. I also need all reply's and e-mails sent from the RIM to show a yournam@xxx.com address and not yourname@ewordme.com. According to the motient / e-link book that came with the RIm this is all possible.

I recently configure a blckberry to work with exchange, it comes with two utilities that allows it to do what you're talking about. Do you already have the device?

Yes, I actually have two devices. I installed the software and have also looked at the CD for additional files, but can not find what you have mentioned. Any guidance?

Do you have the Blackberry enterprise server software for Exchange 5.5?

In order for Blackberry to integrate with Exchange, it must add two Connector Add-Ins... One will allow the Blackberry server to poll mailboxes on the Exchange server -- the other .. allows Blackberry to add a tab into each recipient and configure the Blackberry server via Exchange Admin ... Without this -- it will not integrate.

Then .. the RIM's PIN number will be bound to a recipient .. and email will/should be past from the account to the rim ...

And speaking of mapi .. The BLackberry server requires a mapi profile - or its own pop account .. and it will also need a Domain Account - with Logon as Service RIGHTS....

I've only done this with MAPI ..

Without the Blackberry Enterprise server -- the only way I can see you doing this is to have a custom recipient for each RIM Device .. and have email delivered to both recipient and custom recipient via the Delivery Options within Exchange..

Now -- I cannot recall if there is a way, in the RIM (Or Blackberry for those UK people) client to set a REPLY TO.. address .. so that any email being sent out of the RIM device will have the return address of yournam@xxx.com ... I think there is .. i just can't recall off the top of my head.

I hope this is helpful -- it was unclear in your original message if you were already using the Blackberry Ent. Server... I have one at work .. In fact -- We have two of them.. hehehe.. Very easy to configure... but you'll need a good budget for it .. it doesn't come cheap -- but, IMHO, it's worth it .. i couldn't live without it.

Cheers.
Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back