Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIM Beyond Economic Repair Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpes1

MIS
Apr 21, 1999
US
Looking for comments from RIM users on how they deal with BER items within Ellipse and other as listed below:

1. Do you use catergory management (1 stock code, multiple categories) or have dual stock codes, 1 for new, 1 for repairable?
2. Do you use active cross-referencing to always force issue of repaired item unless not available and then issue new?
3. If repairable item is sent out, teardown / quote indicates that item is beyond economic repair cost but there is residual cost for the teardown charges, how do you handle paying for the teardown costs, but not receive the item back into inventory? Non-Order invoice and cancel Repair PO, order against 'new' stock code?
4. If item is high cost (say greater than $10K), do you require maintenance department to purchase using AFE (Authorization for Expenditure) or does inventory account purchase the new one as operating expense?
5. For repairables, what standard cost rate are you using? (Example: Approximate 60% of cost of new item. I've heard some that hold at zero...If that is the case why? )

Any comments really appreciated.

Rgds
Donna
Donna.Peske@Newmont.com

Donna,

I haven't seen many mine sites run with Stock Category / Condition Management enabled. Its mostly used in large organizations like the military. Thus your Equipment is probably only being tracked by a Serial Number or Batch Lot? Hence, without Category Management there is nothing really to help you specify (apart from Free Text) on the requisition that you want to issue repaired items first.

I might be wrong though cause its been a while since i've looked at this stuff :)

We've set up active cross reference code on the new stock item to always issue repaired first until zero and then issue new if repaired not available. However, when we tested a scenario where there was 1 repaired and 1 new and we made the issue req. for 2 total, 2 were issued against the repaired causing a -1 available on our repaired stock code. Shouldn't it have issued 1 repaired and 1 new?

Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.