Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rights to registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

vishalmarya

Programmer
Aug 19, 2001
I am logging on to win xp client machine in a domain network as a normal user and want have rights to edit my registry . How to do that ?

Thanks

you need to add your normal user to the local admins group, then he'll have full control on the registry.

or, as an admin, run regedit.exe and assign your user the permissions at the necessary parts of the registry

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

applied the second part of your solution . But still am not able to edit the registry .

what is the error message?

have you applied the ntfs permissions to the right place and made it inherit through to where you modify?

play around with it a bit, you'll get there...

Aftertaf

Thanks for your Reply.

My xp machine has fat32 . windows 2000 server ( domain server ) has NTFS .

Earlier All machines were on workgroup type network .

One of the machine was formated and made win 2000 server and settings for other machines were changed to a domain type network ( 3 client machines ) . I created 3 users on the server

If I am logging in ( through this xp machine ) as one of these users i don't have the permissions to edit or add any thing to registry .

If am logging in as administrator , i can add and edit .

If am logging in as desktop user ( not as a domain user ) , i can add and edit .

But other 2 machines ( 1 is xp and other is win 98 se ) has no such problems . And i haven't set any permissions for their registry .

That is the full story .

check the accounts and groups that have rights on the XP machine that works fine, and compare with your XP problem machine...
check both local and domain accounts and groups...

Aftertaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back