Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rights issue ....I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosterhus

MIS
Jul 18, 2001
US
I work in a high school and we just got 2 new labs. They are running Windows XP with the latest Novell Client. I have setup a folder on the server for them to turn in their work. The only right I want them to have is create...so that they cannot bring up everyone elses work and just print it out and turn it in.

The problem is when they go to save there it gives the error "Save failed, there is not enough memory or disk space available. The server is not out of space and it does not give the error when I am logged in as admin or as a teacher.

If anyone has any ideas to correct this error or has a better idea to setup what I am trying to accomplish I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

it's a rights thing

if you are using ms products ie excel especailly then you must have modify and delete - reason what excel when it saves a file - it uses a temp file and it needs to be able to delete it

Best thing is to allow Read/Write/Create/Erase/Modify (RWCEM) but ensure File scan is off. They will have access to read and write to the directory in question, but will only see the data they put in there. You as the admin will be able to see everything, teachers (for example) must have File Scan on their rights to see all data in the directory.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"

Thanks that is exactly what I needed to know. I am kind of new at this.

Ok, I changed the rights on the folder to allow read, modify, create, and erase. I still get the same error. Any more ideas.

I actually have 6 different folders to set this up for. The other 5 when I change the rights they don't stick. The next time I open nwadmin they are back to create only.

Please help! The "shared" folder that these folders are in students only have read access to. Is this part of the problem?

You didn't mention Write ..... you have to allow users write access (Read/Write/Create/Erase/Modify - RWCEM) as per my previous post.

"It's true, its damn true!"

OK, I am still working on this. As I said before I have 6 folders I am trying to set this up on.

First problem: When I assign the rights, (RWCEM) I get the same error.

Second problem: 4 out of 6 of the folders don't hold the rights. The next time I go into NWAdmin the rights are set to Create Only which is how I set it up at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back