Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right so I know linux isnt a gaming system but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbird400

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
US
There is the game called transfusion that works on it. I really need help on this one. I download the game and there it sits unpacked. I tried to copy some files to /usr/games but it says I dont have the permission. Anyone know how games R installed in redhat 8.0?

Typically, any install of software requires that you be logged in as root. This should apply to games as well as apps. ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

user name = root
pass = *********************

? I'll try that...but then there is that copy thing I dont get .

I don't understand what you mean by "that copy thing I don't get". ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

You said that you unpacked it - from a tarball, I assume? Was there any readme or such that explain the steps to compile the program?

something like:
/configure
make install

typically
./configure
make
su -c "make install"
enter root password when prompted

However using this or sudo you may run into path issues if the app requires that you be logged into root to access programs in the path that for whatever reason the compile doesn't. John D. Saucier
jsauce@magicguild.com
Certified Technician
Network Administrator

Linux is a great game system, RTCW and Quake 3 run faster for me under linux than windows (more FPS), also get less latency playing online! :)

As for your problem look for README or INSTALL files, they normally have detailed instructions!

True, but if you can find a native version, as most id products have it would be far better than using winex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back