Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

right/left click not working on boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrydoughty

Technical User
Aug 31, 2000
GB
I have a lap top which on booting up will not respond to left or right clicks unless I do a ctrl-alt-del

External mouse or built-in mouse on the laptop??

If internal, does an external mouse exhibit the same behavior if you attach one??

Run malware scan: Google search, 1st result for mbam-setup.exe

Install, allow it to update as part of the installation, run a full scan and remove what is found. Reboot, report status.

Both internal and external mouse exhibit the same behaviour.
Ran Malaware but no difference.

Ctrl-Alt-Del does different things depending upon how far you've booted up. If you've just booted past POST then it usually reboots the machine. Within an operating system like Windows, you'll get Task Manager or a menu which includes Task Manager, etc. Which is it? I suspect the latter...

What happens in Safe Mode? I'm of the opinion it's more likely to be software rather than hardware. Anything in Event Viewer pertaining to this problem? Try running Spybot and maybe SuperAntiSpyware, or an on-line virus check like Trend Housecall
You could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the laptop's touchpad drivers/software - get latest drivers from manufacturer's website.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

How about an SFC /SCANNOW just for the heck of it and then reboot after it's done.

when using ctrl alt del I get menu which includes task mager which is what I select.
I gave tried Spybot and housecall with no difference.

What is SFC/scannow?

SFC = System File Checker. Type this in the RUN box, and have your operating system CD ready! It checks for corrupted or incorrect version of operating system files, and with the correct CD in place, will copy over the correct file to replace the 'faulty' one.

If it works ok in Safe Mode, then suspect drivers or an update of some sort. You could try going into MSCONFIG and knock out various services and startup options one by one until the one that triggers the fault appears. Tedious, but may get you nearer the cause of the problem...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Yeah - if it works in safe mode, then there's something starting up that is interfering with the mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back