Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right Forum ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yogi39

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
CA
Not sure were to post this.....*lol*

I need to have a MAIN workbook query a DATA workbook (usually closed) and update with the new records added. That is User1 enters data in DATA.xls User2 opens MAIN.xls and can update his MAIN.xls with any new records added in DATA.xls.
Long story short, I’m not proficient enough to get good Access environment set up and using the same workbook causes all sorts of problems as Users will or might be using simultaneously.
I tried the import query but it always overwrites the existing data, I just want it to add new records only.....

Any suggestions or help ?

Yogi39,

It sounds like you need to use an append query instead of your import. The import by default will overwrite your data where the append will add to it.

While I know that Excel has as "database" like ability I feel it is a poor tool to attempt to do relational database design with.

I hope that my answer will help you, and if not you may post your question to the Excel forum here as well if you have not done so.

HTH,

Steve

Thanks steve !
will try and repost

No problem.

While I have played with the Excel VBA and database references I'd rather have someone who really knows give you the answers you need.

:)

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back