Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right clik disable - how to do it? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aishaa

Technical User
Apr 12, 2001
CA
Hi I know there is a post on this I saw long time ago on here, but nothing came up on my search.....

Anyways I would really like to know how to do this.....
Can anyone tell me how?

Ty
Aisha

check out the webrefrence script:
quote from above site:
"In this short article, we will demonstrate how to disable the context menu in all browsers and platforms that allow it."
Robert Carpenter
questions? comments? thanks? email me!
linkemapx@hotmail.com
online.dll

AIM & MSN: robacarp

GUJUm0deL I also agree that the code shouldn't be hidden. And also agree that the method I quickly described would be a lot of work and a pain in the rear to find a problem if you make a mistake in the code.

I have never done that to try to hide the code, only once so that I could use VBScript to change the information displayed instead of reloading the whole page, but since this discussion has changed to hiding code I thought I would just mention it.

Mike

MNClimber, your point is valid. And there are some instances where the code should be hidden (like a server where sensitive information resides)...
I just thought i'd mention that some people go to great lengths to "hide" codes but there's always a way to "see" the coding...lol...
Anyways, happy holidays... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

guju, all,
no, there is NOT any instance where your code (the one you want to send to clients thru http) should be hidden
sensitive informations should be placed elsewhere - you have to separate your code (separate logic from business from presentation - or separate engine, database accesses, and user interface)
because anything you make public to the web can be stolen - whatever tricky technique you found
hiding (trying to hide) your source code doesn't protect you, it's just stupid and not fair to all users that have learnt like you did, by reading other's source code

heh, this is looking like a slashdot article... "The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us"
Bill Watterson, Calvin & Hobbes

iza, I do agree with you, if you read my other posts that the code shouldn't be hidden...about the point of sensitive information, i'm not saying sensitive as in business-related information (like credit card numbers, passwords, etc...), i'm refering mainly to sensitive information that the author thinks is sensitive for their site...get my drift??
:) I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

it's fine guju, there was nothing personnal in it - but yes, i thought you were speaking about business related information that's why i felt like replying (else i wouldn't even have written a line, all what you said is fine, even too nice for me (because it's like the 1000th time we answer this question - to me it only shows that people who want to know how to hide their source code don't even perform a search before asking .... not a good point for them !!))

lol... I have not failed; I merely found 100,000 different ways of not succeding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back