Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

right click

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickTech

Technical User
Nov 26, 2003
GB
Hi guys having an issue with one of my machines here, operating system is XP PRO. When i right click on a file options appear, if i continue to right click on a few files this becomes slower and slower.

Its causing an issue here for one of my users as she COPYS and PASTES a lot and wating for the menu to appear is taking ages when she righ clicks the file. these files are very small less than 50k so the size is not an issue.

Also they are local and not on a server. doesnt matter if i right click or use the EDIT > COPY still thinks about it for ages.

I have tried uninstalling McAfee and cleaning up PC and defragging, no joy...

Any suggestions??

Nick

i found the issue:

Deleting the following registry key will remove the "Open With" menu item, but fixed the speed issue for me.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\Open With

After I deleted "Open With" key, WOW, what a difference.

Also files open much faster. At least the two I tested .tif and HTML (tested opening with both FireFox, and IE set as default).

Thanks
Nick

Some things that have proved of issue in past threads:

. GoBack - update or remove
. PGP Privacy - remove or enable, do not disable
. Any antivirus program with active scanning should be upgraded.
. Bad context menu entries, including network entries in the "Send to" folder.

. Bad context menu programs:
. SpyDoctor
. Webroot SpySweeper without full updates
. DivX codecs - upgrade them or remove them

I think its not a problem with the slow right click, as Nick says that it also takes a lot of time when he tries to use EIDT > COPY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back