Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right click vanished

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxtyman

Technical User
Apr 3, 2006
FR
Strange problem: rightclick on desktop no longer works inc on icons so no access to properties!
Not connected to net on this machine so no virus etc.
Anyone had thin one.
XP pro, french version SP2

Use SHIFT+F10 or the key between Windows and CTRL on the right of the spacebar to check that context menus are working.

If context menus ARE working then this would suggest the right-hand mouse button isn't working. Double-check by susbtituting another mouse.

If context menus (aka shortcut menus) AREN'T working then the issue is software-related.

Hope this helps...

Thanks. It's not the mouse , software related I suspcted also but can't track down the culprit. May have to reinstall!!

You can restrict this action by policy (sorry I cannot remember the option). Do you have any policies active on this workstation?

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Hmmm... if it's software then it's most likely to be a policy.

If it's connected to a network (as opposed to the Internet) and is in a domain then it's likely to be a policy applied by a GPO.

If it's NOT connected to a network (as opposed to the Internet) or is not in a domain then it's likely to be a local policy.

If it's a local policy then you need to determine whether it is a user policy (i.e. affects only the account you usually use to log on to Windows with) or a machine-wide policy (i.e. affects ALL users).

Have a look at to see how to enable/disable this policy for both user and machine.

Hope this helps...

Thanks, tried all that to no avail. Desktop active on as is nocontextview.

You have Active Desktop on? Is it possible you are displaying a web page which has an embedded script that disables right-clicking? To test, make sure any checkboxes for web pages are un-ticked then click on OK. Apply the change and click on OK again.

I'm not sure but you may also need to open Internet Explorer, go to 'Tools > Internet Options' then click on the 'Delete Files' button. When the 'Delete Files' dialog appears, make sure there is a tick in the 'Delete all offline content' checkbox, click on OK and close the the Internet Options dialog.

I don't know if the changes are dynamic so you may have to re-boot for the changes to take effect.

Have a look at "Fishguy's" solution at the end of this thread.

right clickk roblems in start menu
thread779-541060

Also, try ShellExView as discussed by Ramesh, MS-MVP:
Your symptoms may be that of a poorly coded context menu handler having been installed.

thread779-927080

Which essentially discusses a registry change, that amounts to doing a Start, Run, and typing:

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /V ClassicShell /T REG_DWORD /F /D 0

But I have seen this recently as a recurring problem that is malware related, where the "Luna" theme is removed.

If the Windows XP Style choice isn't available, the Visual styles are implemented by the Themes service. If the service isn't running, Windows reverts to the classic Windows style, which doesn't rely on the Themes service.

To restore the Windows XP styles.

Start, Run, services.msc
Scroll down to and double click Themes
Set to Automatic under Startup type.
Click the Start button.

If that doesn't fix the problem, right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance -- Settings.
Under the Visual Effects tab: "Use Visual Styles On Windows And Buttons" then click Apply, OK.

MS-MVP Wes Vogel and MS-MVP Kelly Theriot have some notes that might help.

Restore Luna Theme -- Line 187. Right hand side

Windows and buttons
If XP Professional, use Group Policy and check this setting...

Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |

Navigate to >>>
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control\Display\Desktop
Prevent selection of windows and buttons styles
Set to "Not configured".

Prevent selection of windows and buttons styles
[[Prevents users from changing the visual style of the windows and buttons displayed on their screens. When enabled, this setting disables the "Windows and buttons" drop-down list on the Appearance tab in Display Properties.]]

This registry key is what disables the "Windows and buttons" style control:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Value Name: NoVisualStyleChoice
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 or 1
0 = Windows and buttons Enabled
1= Windows and buttons Disabled

This fixes the Windows and buttons (visualstylefix.reg)
Line 214. Windows/Buttons Greyed-Out Appearance
Read the instructions at the top.

Windows and buttons
[[Lists the visual styles that are available for the theme that is currently selected on the Themes tab. ]]

[[NOTE: You can change the look of individual items if you select Windows Classic style in the Windows and buttons list on the Appearance tab of Display Properties. (Right-click an empty area of your desktop, then click Properties, and then click the Appearance tab). If you select a visual style other than Windows Classic, that style determines the appearance of your menus, fonts, icons, and other Window elements. ]]

How to Change the Font, Size, and Colors of Desktop Items

1. You have an OEM version of Windows XP and the provider didn't include the Windows XP Luna theme nor did they include any new Windows and Buttons themes.

2. You are running the the Itanium (64-bit) version of Windows XP, which does NOT install the Theme service, and does NOT have the Windows XP Luna theme or any new Windows and Buttons themes.]] Only 'Classic Windows' is listed in the 'Windows and Buttons' drop-down list on the Windows XP Appearance tab:

Themes (Won't Load or only Windows Classic is listed)

See this also...
XP Display Properties Dialog & Information

Thanks a lot. I'll have to look at this in a couple of days as i'm away on business.

PS unable to access properties of my computer, no right click. However right click works in all my applications.

Are you then trying remotely to correct this error/problem/issue?

Let us know when your travels are done if any of the above suggestions help.

Tried all to no avail. Have gone to a previous Ghost image and all is normal.No idea what caused the problem. Thanks anyway

I found that after testing a new Spyware Program by Tenebril "SpyCatcher" I had lost the use of Right Click.
Simply removed SpyCatcher and "Right Click" was back.

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back