Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right Click on Desktop Icons Freezes XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosremark

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
I've built an AMD machine from another computer I separated out. Everything has gone well except when I right click on any icon on the desktop I get the hour glass and no response. This only happens on the desktop and nowhere else, I'm running win XP pro, Athlon XP 2200, tried 2 MB's, & 2 Graphics cards, using SDRAM 133 512MB. Has anyone seen this before? I've been building machines for years, some all new and some with used parts and I have never encountered this before.

Hi Nosremark,
That is very strange!..
One idea though, you should check out your 'send to' folder, there could be a problem there to do with the content of the folder, too many sources to list!?
Check that all the needed services are active, as this prob could be to do with the 'explorer shell' have you de-activated any services, if so check their dependences again.
Also do a restart in 'safe mode' does the error occur now? if so use established fault checking methods to find the cause..
Hope any of this helps,
Good luck D

Hi Nosremark,
That is very strange!..
One idea though, you should check out your 'send to' folder, there could be a problem there to do with the content of the folder, too many sources to list!?
Check that all the needed services are active, as this prob could be to do with the 'explorer shell' have you de-activated any services, if so check their dependences again.
Also do a restart in 'safe mode' does the error occur now? if so use established fault checking methods to find the cause..
Hope any of this helps,
Good luck D

Check your Mouse properties in the Control Panel. Make sure the right click function is set correctly.

Does the right click work correctly in Windows Explorer?

Also try this:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Settings > select "Adjust for best performance" > OK

Thanks for the advice,
Here are the methods I've tried:
Defrag, Disk cleanup, Mouse Prop, Countless others
I will try starting in safe mode and error checking, I have shut off any services I was not familiar with and also checked back ground apps. The odd thing is that after the right click lockup the performance of the processor never climbs above 3%. Also tried reinstalling XP, no change. Right click does work in Explorer, just not on the Desktop icons.
Thanks for the help.

Download, install and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel ( This is similar to Windows 98 MSconfig. Disable everything that you can and see if your problem is solved.

Also if you have a Wallpaper set, set it to none. if it is set to none, change it to Clouds. If you have a Screensaver set, disable it. Disable any power saving settings and hibernation.

In Device Manager, does anything have a red X or yellow check mark?

No conflicts in DM, I've left the computer with the client but I plan on testing some of the ideas posted on 9/25.

Thanks

Tried all suggestions, have not yet found the answer!

Thanks for all the help

Hi nosremark,
Try this ..if you haven't already- go to your desktop folder using explorer and try using the shortcuts in there... any joy? if so your problem is very complicated and will require much thought by all users! If they don't work from there delete them and make new ones back in your desktop view, do these now work properly?
Good Luck...D [neutral]

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help, I have not yet found a solution. I think my only option now is to fdisk and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back