Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

right-click functions on start menu don't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlmll

Technical User
Dec 14, 2000
FR
Hello all,

On my XP Home machine, when I right-click an item in the start menu, I have the contextual menu that pops up, and I could click on a function ("Explore", "Explore all users", "Sort by name" and so on...)

Well, the contextual menu still pops up, but for a couple of weeks, clicking some functions (like "Explore", "Explore all users") within it doesn't do anything anymore, and I can't remember of what I've done to disable this (no I'm not in a limited account) :-(

Note that "Sort by name" still works. :-I

Anubody knows how to fix this ?

Thanks *a lot* in advance.

MLL02

I have a similar problem, but maybe a little worse: the contextual menu doesn't pop up. Right clcik producues no more than a quick blink.
Help. anyone [glasses] ?

Perhaps using System Restore to get back to when everything worked OK maybe the first thing to try.

Using the System File checking program by typing Sfc /Scannow in the Run Box will not do any harm and will check your files for corruption.

As a last resort before you get to the re-install windows stage you could download a Registry checking program that will scan your registry and fix up errors in there.

Open Mouse in Control Panel.
On the Buttons tab, under Button configuration, select the Switch primary and secondary buttons check box to make the right button the primary mouse button. Clear the check box if you want the left button to be the primary mouse button.
Notes

To open Mouse, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Mouse.
Be aware that if you switch the mouse buttons using the left mouse button, you will have to use the right mouse button to switch them back.