Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RIAD 1 vs RAID 5 Which Should I choose? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLADY218

Technical User
Feb 7, 2003
US
Hello All,

Im pretty new to RIAD so bear with me..

I have a server.... Pretty slow 756MB Memory and 600MHZ processor. I am going to put fault tolerance on it and am not sure weather to impliment raid 5 or Raid 1 (Mirroring). Cost is not an issue. I want whatever will make my server redundent and at the same time take up the least amount of system resources. And should I go with software or hardware raid.
Im leaning toward software raid 1 (mirroring)

Thanks for all responses

cost is no issue ...
hardware raid 5 with atleast 3 disks and a hot spare ;)

Can't you go RAID 5+1 with hardware, have 3 disks in a RAID 5 configuration and 3 others mirrored off the first three. This way if 2 disks fail you can use the mirror set. (that is, if RAID 5+1 is possible)

Best Regards,
Nathan Martini
Advanced Computer Solutions

Cost issues aside, how critical is the data being available at all times?
Re overhead, RAID 5 should be a little more labor intensive than RAID 1 or 0, however perhaps not. When you buy a RAID 5 controller you are paying for the hardware/drivers to make it work without putting too much of a strain on the PC itself.

If you really have to know, you might contact Adaptec or Mylex and ask their support teams about it.

Good Luck

Paul

You go for the hardware RAID, RAID card will do almost all the processing, it will ease up your processor. If you r using HDD storage lets say 20 HDDs go for the latest RAID tech.. for compaq its RAID 5 ADG. you can afford to have 2 HDD failure at the same time and you won't loose any data. Otherwise go for RAID 5 plus 1 (hotspare)or plain just RAID 5 (min 3 HDD) which you can only afford to have 1 HDD failure.. but whatever it is, it's all depends to what r the capabilities of your RAID contoller.

Go with a raid 5 striped data across at least 3 drives. I have a new dell had it for 3 weeks one drive died. No loss of production just pull out the bad drive slide in the new one like magic the data migrated and rebuilt the drive without missing a beat.

Leon

well, well.
When the cost is not a problem I will always choose a hardware solution, and RAID 10.
That is
RAID0 - disk striping -> very fast in reading, fast in writing
and RAID 1 --> it will keep a copy of those disks
ie: 2 disks (or more) in RAID0 and then mirrored (RAID1).

As about RAID5... it is fast in reading but slow in writing.
Just RAID1... will give you just redundancy, no more performance.

Gia Betiu
giabetiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

First thing

Thanks for all the great responses.

I can't use both RAID 5 + 1 I have to choose.

So from everyones responses Im leaning toward RAID 1 hardware based. This way my processor will be free by utilizing the controller and the read response will be faster than RAID 5. (remember my server is slow)

Any suggestions on this will be appreciated
I know some people where saying RAID 5 striping should i be leaning toward that in my setup?

Thanks again....

GiaBetiu we must of sent our messages at the same time. After reading your response a did some research on it and that seems like the best solution.

It has increased speed than the other RAID levels and is also the most fault tolerant or = to other RAID levels.

Im going to go WITH RAID 10

Thank you all for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back