Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RF devices w/SAP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgwillard

MIS
Jun 21, 2001
US
Does anyone have experience/exposure to RF devices (wireless bar code scanners) with SAP? Our implementation team is working on this, but I thought I would send out a feeler to see if anyone has any suggestions or tips on how to make it work. cgwillard
Only 25 years until retirement!

There are quite a few companies that do this.
You need to find the best fit for your situation.

Here are some sights that do wireless SAP

There are quite a few companies that do this.
We are using the Teklogix solution.

We spent almost 12 months of discovery, testing and comparison before our system.

The WLAN's are all close to standard. They should all be available with 802.11g (I hope soon). We use ours with notebooks, palms and the scanners. The interface and software are more important. Some of the things to look at are AIAG, scan out of sequence, auto-posting, post on final scan. Do the design up front and test test test.

You can setup SapConsole and a telnet server to test with.
Use a keyboard wedge on a PC and telnet to the server. We did this for about 3 months of testing.

I appreciate that this answer is a tad late but have only just joined the site.
We have implemented pure SAP R/F (no middle ware) if you want to discuss this further please feel free to call.
404-676-6628

Hai WMGuy,

Is the performance of SAP Console satisfactory.

What is the country code of your Telephone number please.

Also can you tell me the ABAP code on how to receive a material IN AN RF using SAPCONSOLE.

Thank you

LarryTheCucumber,
Sometime back,you wrote:

You can setup SapConsole and a telnet server to test with.
Use a keyboard wedge on a PC and telnet to the server.

I want to setup a test sytem to demo sapconsole.
What are the essentials to get this going ?
1. Can one use the microsoft's telnet on win98 for this.
or should one get a specific telnet ?
2. I would like to use my own laptop with a keyboard wedge/scanner. How should I go about this setup ?
3. How can I run std console transcations via my laptop with charactor based screens.
(I havn't used telnet before).
Your further help is much appreciated.

Install SAP GUI and SAP Console on your PC
Search the web for a telnet server that will run on 98.
You should be able to hook the keyboard wedge up to the PS/2 port on your notebook.
What std console transactions?

Hello everyone,

i had aldready implemented some aplications using SapConsole for Warehouse Management module.

So, if you need some information or tips you are free to contact me.

Prosa

Portugal

Hi ndharam,

To address your questions the essential components you'll need for a demo are: SAP, a Windows telnet server machine (which will receive SAP screens and covert them for a VT220 telnet session), and a telnet client device (which could be a telnet client on the same machine as the telnet server if need be).

1)The telnet server has to reside on a Windows system since SAPconsole is only available for Windows. Unfortunately the telnet server provided by Windows does not meet the requirement of supporting VT220. As such a third party telnet server is reuired. SAP recommend commercial ones from and Both are licensing but evaluation versions can be downloaded.

Similarly the telnet client must support VT220 I would recommend you use a client from the same supplier as your server.

2)The last time I used a scanner was 1999 and it was inline with the keyboard (like the wedge type you suggest). These just get plugged in, no driver is required. They read the barcode and pump out the text as though you typed it in on the keyboard. (Sorry I cannot remember the brand we used)

3)You'll need to configure SAPconsole for a profile and connection to SAP. Then start your telnet client opening a connection to your telnet server (identified by hostname or IP address) eg "open 192.168.1.34".

Bsest of luck.

Hi,
I am presently struggling in configuring my SAPConsole and Telnet Server.

I have all the h/w and s/w mentioned and have configured them all.

When I connect thru my telnet client to sapconsole the lets me to login to sap,however when i try to login to sapconsole from a different machine with telnet client the system does not display the sap login screen.

Any help in this area will be highly appreciated

Regards

Hi,

There is one thing everybody forget to mention...
You need to do some configuration in SAP IMG to set up Mobile profile and then build an RF menu.

When connecting through SAPConsole, it will look for the logon user's name in this mobile profile - if not there you will not get any logon screen...

Furthermore, some telnet servers look for the IP or MAC address of the remote user - if you do not map or "declare" all the IP/MAC addresses that are allowed to connect - then you will not be allowed to connect from a different device into the Telnet server!

On the topic of Which Telnet Server and Client to use...
You can mix and match Telnet Server and Client software from different suppliers but will lose the ability to use certain features that needs to be supported from both the client as well as the server side - for instance, encryption and server side beat heat monitoring....

I successfully implemented Telnet Clients from Naurtech on Win CE/Pocket PC devices in combination with Georgia Telnet Server at multiple customer sites without any problems.

Marius Vermeulen
SAP Mobile Solutions Expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back