Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REXX exec tso SEND starts REXX exec and pass variables

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcmo

Programmer
Oct 12, 2006
US
I am relatively new to coding REXX and trying to figure out how the below setup works. I saw it at another job but never asked how it works.

1. REXX1 exec/program shows a panel menu. Some of the menus eventually set common variables in a file (called FILE1) using EXCIO to create one long record with several variables.
At the end of REXX1 exec it issues tso command as
"SEND 'REXX2',''"FILE1'"

2. REXX2 is coded in beginning with
PARSE UPPER ARG DSNPASS where DSNPASS will use the FILE1 variables sent from REXX1.

FILE1 for the first variable holds a Mystery REXX exec name to which changes depending on Menu Panel selected from REXX2.

3. I have researched the setup and have not determined what happens between the TSO SEND from REXX1 and how it gets to REXX2.
Do you think it is an assembler called program and the assembler program reads the varables to see to start the Mystery REXX program and passes FILE1 variables to be read by PARSE UPPER ARG DSNPASS. Or is the missing link some type of submitted jcl from internal reader or ? Trying figure out how this works.

Two things occur to me. Either SEND is another rexx routine or it is, as you say, an external program.

Using TSO ISRDDN (whilst in the application) and then "M SEND" will determine if the routine is REXX (ISRDDN will search the REXX/CLIST allocated in the application).

If that fails then have a look at the linklisted load libraries for the program "SEND". We would use "TSO WHICH SEND", which would search the linklisted load libraries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back