Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rexx and ISPF panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYSMQ

Programmer
Apr 27, 2005
US
Is it possible to setup a area in an ispf panel that I can access as a index type field and then write to that field using a rexx program.

Example:

I want an area of 16 lines for errors and want to be able to address that area one line at a time, so as I edit my input (input area is on the same panel as the error lines)and find an error I can increment and index in the rexx program and have the error appear on the next line. Or if anyone has a better way of doing this I'm open for suggestions.

You want error-msg-1 to scroll off when you issue error-msg-17, don't you? You can have a scrollable area within a panel (see AREA(SCRL) in the Developer's Guide) but you're going to do a lot of bit-twiddling to get this to happen. You can't actually 'index' into it, either; you couldn't, for instance, write line 12 before writing line 10.

Frank Clarke
Tampa Area REXX Programmers' Alliance
REXX Language Assn Listmaster

Any possibility of writing the errors to a memory-only ISPF table and then using TBLDISPL to manage it? It would be less flexible, but easier to manage.

I have done things like that, and recommend calling it as a protected subroutine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back