Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

rewrite an query in access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbi1

Programmer
Apr 4, 2005
US
I have a view in SQL serever 2000 that I was trying to link to access. However every time I linked it, I could not open the table.

So I need to rewrite this view in access. I am not an access programmer, so my SQL seems to be off in this, even though it runs fine in SQL Server.

SELECT dbo.Project.PROIDNO, dbo.Project.PROOFFICE, dbo.Project.PRODEPT, Employee_1.EMPSNAME AS Pic, dbo.Employee.EMPSNAME AS PM,
dbo.Project.PROLNAME
FROM dbo.Project LEFT OUTER JOIN
dbo.Employee ON RIGHT(dbo.Project.PROPRIN, LEN(LTRIM(RTRIM(dbo.Project.PROPRIN))) - 1) = dbo.Employee.EMPIDNO LEFT OUTER JOIN
dbo.Employee Employee_1 ON RIGHT(dbo.Project.PROPM, LEN(LTRIM(RTRIM(dbo.Project.PROPM))) - 1) = Employee_1.EMPIDNO

You should be able to use a pass-through query while keeping the same SQL, as whatever SQL used on these type of queries is executed on the linked server dialect, not on Access.

Regarding your SQL is this an exact copy of the existing SQL?

This because the ltrim/rtrim associated with the "right" you have would not work if you are dealing with a char field with any spaces on it (this if I am reading it well).
e.g.
proprin defined as char(10)
value = " ABC " (e.g. 2 spaces + 3 letters + 5 spaces
len(ltrim(rtrim(proprin)) = 3
so right(proprin,3 - 1) = " " e.g. 2 spaces.

It would seem more logical to have
RIGHT(LTRIM(RTRIM(dbo.Project.PROPRIN)), LEN(LTRIM(RTRIM(dbo.Project.PROPRIN))) - 1)

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

I am removing the first character from the text field. when they swicthed systems, the IDs have an extra character ion the front and I need to remove it to get the query to work.

As I said, and as far as I can see, it will only work if you don't have any trailing/leading space, and on that case you don't need the rtrim/ltrim, just use the "right" function

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back