Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rewiring a straight into a crossover 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oWrWe

Technical User
Dec 18, 2003
MU
Hi all,

I'm having problems rewiring a straight patch cable of around 50m long. It was cut in half, and now, I'd like to reconnect it.

Is there any special consideration I should take into account? I've rewired it and mapped all wires correctly - I've followed all kinds of instructions. I've even tried the just-4-wires-connected.

Mapping:
Pins
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
| | | | | | | |
3 6 1 4 5 2 7 8

or
Pins
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
| | | x x | x x
3 6 1 4 5 2 7 8

| = wired
x = not connected

And yet, I can't get a working crossover patch cable! The network icon on one of my PCs keep switching from 10Mbps to cable unplugged!

Should there be more twists in the wires? I could take a picture of the re-wiring and post it... if it could help?

Any comments/advise? Thanks in advance!

Owrwe

> It was cut in half, and now,
> I'd like to reconnect it.

> The network icon on one of my PCs keep
> switching from 10Mbps to cable unplugged!

Your wiring diagrams are correct for a cross-over cable. How are you trying to "splice" the cable back together? It sounds like you might be having problems with your connections.

As it has been cut in half, the ends should already be terminated correctly. So, splicing them back together straight (i.e. orange to orange and so on) should do the trick. From what you are saying, wires is correct in stating you are having problems with the connecting.

Might be best to bite the bullet and pull in a new run.

Hi guys, thx for your replies. I'm using copper connectors, just like those used in electrical installations. It looks like I'll take a picture of the splicing and post it! It will be simpler!

By the way, I have set both PCs on the lowest possible speed, 10Mbps Half duplex, hoping that it won't need as much robustness as a 100Mbps Full... it didn't do the trick!

My last resort of course will be "Might be best to bite the bullet and pull in a new run"... Masterofnone! :)

You probably lost too many twists in the spliced area or simply that you've got bad splices. This problem reminds of a "hot" debate on a similar problem a while back. How to properly splice a cut cable ! I'm sure if you look at the old messages from one or two months back, you'll find a VERY long thread regarding "possible" ways of splicing.

Do I understand correctly, you are using electrical connectors..i.e. wire nuts?
Master is right, if you are simply trying to fix the cable just go color to color, you would not use a cross over for that.
But use a block or a jack and plug at least...

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

A 50m PATCH cord????
If this is truley a 50m patch cable (ie stranded cable)
you are going to get degradation do to its length. A cobbled splice will most likely make it unusable.
Even using good splicing/patching techniques you may still experience problems.
You may be better off to replace the entire cable and at that distance solid wire cable which is properly terminated would be better to use.

Thx people for your comments and advise! Didn't know the right terms to search for before posting this thread. Reading the long debate now!

thx again!

oWrWe

Save yourself from wasted time and aggravation... pull new.

ps i have seen a spliced cable (using B connectors) pass a cat5e wirescope test.

I would put connectors on the ends crimped how you want them and then use a coupler

Useheat shrink tubeing long enough to covesr the splice then solder the the wire joints this is the only way to prevent signal loss,

Wayne

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back