Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reviewing Imail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rshendrix

MIS
Mar 5, 2002
I am currently in the process of reviewing Imail for our internal email solution. Our environment is Windows peer-to-peer with Windows 98, Windows 2000, and a few Windows XP clients. I anticipate about 100-150 email accounts within a year of implementation. I was thinking of running Imail on a Windows 2000 Professional PC. Anyone have any pros/cons on running this way?

Concerns, comments, or real-life experiences would be appreciated!!!

Thanks....

We've been using I-Mail for a while. I think it's great. Our users like the idea that you can access there e-mail over the internet without having to have any kind of client, (Outlook, etc.) installed and configured. They give us great tech support. Two thumbs up. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[bat]

"Knowledge of the world is only to be acquired in the world, and not in a closet."
Lord Chesterfield 1694-1773); English statesman.

Glen,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm thinking very seriously about downloading the trial version in the very near future.

I'm running imail on w2k professional - runs great!
I point all the internal people (desktops) to the
internal address for it, they don't even have to
go outside the firewall to get their mail.
only 60 users - runs like a bat out of hell on a
1ghz /512mb box.
Chris

I have been using Imail for about 1 year. Imail is a straight forward email solution and is very easy to install and configure. It also has alot less overhead then exchange and it is alot cheaper. :) Our users access Imail from both a Mail client and from the web interface. No complaints this far. The web interface is very easy to customize to suit your needs.

I've been struggling with using either QualComm Eudora mail or Ipswitch's iMail. My home ISP has iMail running and I think it's a great service, one that I'd like to run for my teaching staff and help get them away from Hotmail (with all it's associated viruses). Can anyone give me some pro's and con's to think over (Ipswitch vs. QualComm)? Can I use iMail for both internal and external?

I will have a dedicated 2.0GHz 512RAM brand new server and a static routble IP address available. Total users will be approximately 50. The server runs a RAID 1 array, and will be backed up redundantly with a tape or SAN solution. Is this overkill? Can I run this on a Win2K Pro or XP single PC just as efficiently? I am now Windows peer-to-peer but am in the process of setting up a Win2K network.

Finally, does anyone have data showing how iMail or Eudora interact with CA Antivirus software (Enterprise edition)?

All answers and opinions would be welcomed,

edutech.

I am not familiar with Eudora, so lets talk Imail. You can use Imail for both internal and external users. As mentioned in a previous post you can point the internal users to the internal address. Now for Antivirus, if your Antivirus program scans the disks where you will have Imail, then it will grab viruses. I personally use Trend Server protect and it grabs any virus that comes to any of our users.

just to nose in again -
I have 90% of my users using eudora w/imail - no problems.
your server configuration sounds like overkill -
I am web hosting / running Imail /proxy serving the internet on a 1ghz/512 MB dell dimension PC and not
breaking a sweat.
just my pennies on your thoughts.
Chris

iMAIL is great..just beware the new patches...made the mistake of being the first to apply it and paid for it(lots of yelling from customers) but tech support was great and had me back up in a jif! Join the mailing list for support also...lots of knnowledgable guys on there. Also the declude anti-virus add on is killer and support is great! If you like my post let me know if I blow an answer...well it's probably late and I have had too many beers! Cheers!!
A+, NET+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA

Yeah, that may be a tad over kill. On my win2k server I'm running DNS, IIS, FTP, File sharing for my local network, SQL, and iMail 7.x, as well as some camera software that peaks my process when it's viewed. All this on a Celeron 500 with 1/2 gig of ram and about 150gb of hard drive space and my CPU usage sits around 10% to 12% on a normal day. When someone hits my camera server it jumps to 100% but thats just my cam software being stupid, it doesn't affect performance that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back