Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Review Tests - How accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmartin007

Technical User
Jun 8, 2001
GB
I've been studying the Sybex (70-270) book for a couple of months combined with TestKing and Transcender questions.

Recently I've been hitting the 80% in the tests and felt confident enough to book the test (for this Saturday).

Today I did a MeasureUps test (the one bundled with the MS Press Blue Book) and got 50%!

The style of questions was totally different and very picky. It asked very specific questions such as which tab within Internet properties does this or which tab in dial-up properties etc... It seemed desgined to catch the user out more than test a broad knowledge of XP.

TestKing & Transcender concentrate more on wider topics such as Permissions, IIS etc...

I'm going ahead with the test anyway but would appreciate any feedback on the above pieces of software and the style of questions I should expect.

Thanks!

Patrick

Ó¿Õ¬

One of the problems with using TestKing, etc is that invariably wrong answers are included in the mix. I've seen cases where they included the same question twice with two answers (both wrong!).

The best way to ingrain this stuff in your head is to create lab environments where you can apply these concepts. When you apply it in an actual project or test project, there's no memorization needed. You just know how to do it.

This maybe more difficult in the networking arena however...

see, i've experienced the same thing, just the other way round, i have been using, learnkey (Aaron Spurlock) and measureup.com as my practice tests, getting in the 90%, so to make sure i wasn't remembering the questions i even tried to answer all 189 questions from the question bank and i got 94% (178/189)... however yesterday a friend gave me a copy of "testout"... 50% if i was lucky, so much detail about so many different things, my exam is in 13hrs time...started to panic a little now

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

The tests bundled with the big blue Microsoft books are in teh same style as the actual exams. While they aren't the actual questions on the exams the are asked in the same manor, and are scorred in the same manor.

This is one of the most important parts of taking a Microsoft exam. Learning how Microsoft asks the questions and how they expect you to think to get to the answer that they want.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Thanks for all the feedback.

I've re-scheduled my exam for a weeks time. I am going to look at some more questions (may try Testout) and if I feel that I am still unsure about some areas I'll have to dig out the study books again and maybe postpone the exam for a few weeks.

Regards

Patrick

Ó¿Õ¬

I just passed,

didn't think i would, pmartin007, i have about 2weeks worth of measureup.com practice tests(70-270), if u want to login as me, might help u??

Also i did notice a couple of the questions i recieved in the exam, where copies from both measureup and testout

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

The MS-approved "Self-Test" practice tests are the best I've seen with Transcenders not too far behind.

I think you made a mistake cancelling your test though, the only real way to test your knowledge is to do the exam. If you're getting high percentages in Transcenders you'd likely have done OK, if you failed at least you knew what to revise more on. Delaying it two weeks isn't really going to help you as you don't seem to know what you're weak on.

the MS ones are "Measure UP"...

if you read the MS press book and do a trancender you should be fine

Thanks for all the feedback. I passed at the weekend with 905.

The MeasureUp questions were a lot closer to the real thing than all the others I've tried. I felt like I'd seen quite a few of them before...

Now for 70-290!

(I had to change my username after probs logging in with my User ID)

Patrick

Ó¿Õ¬

I used many different tests including Measure Up then did the questions that come with the MS study material (by Measure Up) and the questions were totally different with material I didnt see on any of the other tests.

MCSE NT 4.0, MCP (2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

wasisnt,

Are you referring to the 70-270 exam specifically? From what I understand the exam now covers SP2, and the latest MS Press book also covers the new material.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back