Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

review of squirrel POS 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

360fish

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2011
US
anyone with experience running or using squirrel pos like to post some info? a quick review, nitpicks, cons, plusses, headaches, raves, anything is welcome.

I know coorsman (much love) has dropped the name before so I checked it out. Looks great on paper, erm, screen. website. whatever. but actual use?

some things I'd love to know - how well does it deal with various forms of disaster - does it keep running and how easy is it to recover. do the daily sales transactions like to get corrupted? are there good input features like, oh, I don't know, the ability to search your item database (I'm looking at you Aloha).

What are the hidden costs? Is it easy to maintain? Corporate level reporting any good? tech support? does it like bacon? etc.

I've been kinda busy for a while training my replacement. I'm finally ending my career as an aloha tech after 7 years and after next week and will once again work with squirrel.

In the past squirrel had proprietary hardware the database structure wasn't much different from aloha. A total rewrite in java in the mid 90's kinda put squirrel into a slump because the software was really buggy. Many years later and I'm sure many updated versions I think it is the most stable pos software available.

Squirrel uses MSSql as the database manager very stable.
Although the squirrel terminal software can run on windows and any pos terminal. The new workstation terminals from squirrel use a simple Linux kernel to boot the terminal software in about 15 secs.

As a former restaurant owner the best features about squirrel-
My top 10
1. 95% of all programming and all database entries time keeping etc can be done real time and can be done at the terminal w/o a refresh.
2. I like the off screen items. If you change your menu daily you menu items can be stored off screen and you can pick and choose an item in your database and place it on your menu screen in real time.
3. If you run any kind of food inventory software the transformer menu item is the best. Because you.can have off screen items you can easily build a button to transform to that item. Follow me on this one. Customer orders a 16oz colors light. The server could select the menu item coors light then a modifier panel would pop up with the options of 10 16 24 pitcher. Selecting 16 would select the item 16oz coors light and not a coors light item with a 16 oz modifier.
4. Adding a new item? Just select a like item, enter the new item name and price and pick an empty spot on the screen.
5. Happy hour can be turned on from the terminal and you can select an item, group of items.
6. True gross sales. Sales Reports can be set to use the gross sales
Price of an item.
7. Redundancy, the terminals will run w/o the server unless you turn them
Off.
8. No windows on the terminals and no install.
9. Timekeeping adjustments and tip adjustments can be made on the terminal.
10. Great for fine dining and courses. Pivot seating and bar transfers.

I haven't used or seen some of the other features, video, pizza, quick device etc.

Do you ever wonder why you never see squirrel questions on tek-tips? It's been asked before ( why don't you go work for squirrel then?) well, not
Much need for a tech there but I finally got an oppurrunity to become a project manager installing and training.

I really only helped here with aloha because I feel for all the restaurant managers and owners who can't understand why they purchased what they saw as the #1 pos only to get bad or expensive service

I'll be around for a while helping those in need until I loose my knowledge of aloha.
From my iPhone,
Cheers
Coorsman

Cheers,
Coorsman

Thanks Coorsman! very helpful - I like that squirrel is running on Android tablets as well. You didn't mention integration with credit cards, I'd like to know your personal experience with that end of things; otherwise, I can RTFM on their website.

If you know anyone in the CA Bay Area I want to train a replacement for me too!

you can contact my new employer - (cabaret systems dot com). Jeff can provide you with all the details on Squirrel Credit cards, Androids and the like.

Cheers,
Coorsman

I have been at the Focus POS conference in Nashville this weekend. WOW is all
I can say. I'll touch base later with all the bells and whistles.

Cheers,
Coorsman

Hi coorsman, I would love to get your opinion on Pos sector
if you liked focus pos, you should love Pos sector. If you are interested in test drive let me know.

Haris

To Coorsman and all else. I run squirrel from ws9 terminals and love both the
system and the interface on ws9 terminals. However I obtained a couple of Radiant
P1560 terminals recently. I imaged the squirrel to the Radiant P1560 and they are
fast and easier to order on and connect to the server with no problem. The only
problem I have is the MSR, that is the credit card reader on Radiant. I have been unsuccessful incorporating into the system. Anyone have any ideas?
jim1941

I have never been able to get the MSR on the new hardware encrypted Mag readers on the radiant terminals with a windows based program other than Aloha.

Cheers,
Coorsman

@jim1941 - the encrypted mag readers are marketed as 'payment guard msr' appear to only work with the Aloha software. They've been difficult to work with regarding these card readers, insisting that older terms can not be upgraded with them so new terms are required for Aloha 6.7 +.

You probably know this, but can buy 3rd party card readers and run them from an available USB port on the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back