Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

review, defrex.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aron2

Programmer
Aug 19, 2006
CA
Hello all,

defrex.com is the URL. It's my newly created blog.

Known issues:
- The RSS feeder isn't done yet...
- I still don't have a filter to take malicious script out of comments (trying to learn regex for that)

Concerns:
- The opacity. I have it working in IE and FF, and I really like the look, but testing seems to suggest that it slows things down.
- AJAX. I was on a bit of a kick when I started the script, and about half way through I realized an AJAX blog was a dumb idea. Rather then starting from scratch I made sure not to break the back button, but left the AJAX in.

Opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

You could start off with validation.
Looks like the second <head> should be </head>

At the moment your 'Register' link crashes with a list of errors and a 404

The 'Next' link claims to take you to page 2, but the content is the same.

On switching from Home to Contact the horizontal position jumps.

Damn. Ok, I put a temp fix on register, and I fixed the page problem.

I'm not able to duplicate the contact issue you mentioned. Which browser are you using?

I'm getting on the validation right now.

Thanks for your help.

Browser is FF 1.5.0.6.
Problem not visible in IE6

Love the temp fix for register [smile]

Ok, it validates now. I think I'm going to switch to xhtml when I get a moment, all I have to do to switch is add a few />s.

I see what you mean about the horisontal shift. I didn't notice it at first because it's rather slight. What could be causing that? The most of the html is identical, and the CSS is comming from the same file. The template simply aplies the content: contact.php and blog.php.

all I have to do to switch is add a few />s

not necessarily. there are also different standards related to attributes and nesting elements.

in firefox, your top post shows the title at the top of the page, but the content (a screenshot of a youtube video) displays all the way below your google ads.

your green text that says "Cookie?" is too similar to the background image, so it's too hard to read.

i get this error on many pages:

[tt]Error: Unknown property '_filter'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: Line: 26[/tt]

i get this error in the comment page:

[tt]Error: mismatched tag. Expected: </input>.
Source File: Line: 1, Column: 146
Source Code:
<form name="where" action="index.php"><input type="hidden" name="isThis" value="comments.php"><input type="hidden" name="toPass" value="id=40"></form> <div class="post">-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^[/tt]

i get loads of syntax errors when i click the signin button, similar to this:

[tt]Error: syntax error
Source File: Line: 1, Column: 1
Source Code:
signin:^[/tt]

here's a javascript error i get when i click "rich text mode":

[tt]Error: NULL is not defined
Source File: javascript:rtSwitchCom('commentText', NULL, 'isRT');
Line: 1[/tt]

link text is too similar in color to non-link test, i have trouble differentiating between the two. maybe make the link text underlined, or make the color difference more drastic.

i gave up after this - honestly, using FF 1.5.0.6, i could get hardly anything to work.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]mr. pibb + red vines = crazy delicious![/tt]

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

Your probably right about the link text. I'll add an underline.

I'm aware of the other xhtml rules, but most of them I'm not breaking. I have one span with a div nested in it, which I will have to change to in inline div to validate, but other then that there shoudlen't be to much.

Maybe I'll put a while background with a slightly higher opacity behine the signin div, that should fix the issue with readability.

_filler creates an opacity effect in IE. It's proprietary, so it'll never validate.

The second error is about closing input tags. They're not needed in HTML4, so I didn't add them.

The next error I'm less sure about. It happens any time there is an ajax call. I tried quite hard to get rid of it, but nothing seemed to work. Since it doesn't really effect anything in any of the browsers I tested in, I eventually let it be. Essentially it tries to validate all passed data as strict xml, even when I tell the script that it's plain text.

It seems I inadvertently broke the RT link. I'll have to fix that.

Using FF everything should work, it does for me (except the rich text link, aparently).

Thanks for the help.

Check out my blog: defrex.com

Using FF everything should work

that's what i was using when i got those errors - referencing the javascript console.

i don't suggest using FF as your sole testing browser, considering that according to w3schools, only 1/4 of users utilize it (and that's high, considering a high number of web developers visit the w3schools site).

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]mr. pibb + red vines = crazy delicious![/tt]

[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

So you're writing your own blog system? That sounds like a huge and unnecessary undertaking, given that there are so many pre-written systems out there that'll do the job (sometimes for free, as at ).

Still, if you're determined to reinvent the wheel, try not to make it a square one. An AJAX blog is a seriously flawed idea. Not only is it slower than just serving up the content through the php but it's an SEO disaster. Disable javascript in your browser and see your page as Google sees it - completely content-free! This will also stop your Google Ads picking up relevant content from the page.

Ajax is the frames of the 21st century - a powerful technique in its place, but woefully overused. This is not the place to use it.

From a design point of view, it looks OK. I think I'd use a dark green rather than black as a border colour though.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back