Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse upgrading a site to 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

fawkes

Technical User
Sep 12, 2003
GB
I have installed visual web developer 2008 express edition

We run our intranet on a server running windows 2000 and so I can't install .net 3.5 on it and I can't get it upgraded at the moment.

I have edited our intranet and when asked by VWD if I wanted to upgrade the site to 3.5 I did not thinking there would be a problem.

I now have to reverse this upgrade, does anyone know how I can do it?

I've tried just editing the web.config file to be the same as before but it doesn't work.

hopefully your using some form of version control (vault, svn, vss) if so just roll back to a previous version of the system. If you not, you should seriously consider version control software.

it may be as simple as selecting the targeted framework. right click the project/solution and open properties. somewhere in the tabs is a targeted framework option. select .net 2.0

if that doesn't work, then your in for some "fun".
1. open the solution and project files in a text editor and revert the xml schema by hand.
2. update any code files which may be using the 3.5 syntax sugar.

for more help I would search MSDN or contact MS directly about rolling back.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Luckily I had an old copy of the web.config file and I removed everything from the new version that wasn't in the old one and changed references to version 2.0 from 3.5

I think I got away with it this time... :eek:\

Next time do a backup first. Also as Jason says, use some sort of version control system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back