Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse Lookup Zone keeps dissappearing! Win2k Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowweb

Technical User
Apr 8, 2003
PH
Hi,

Our office LAN has a primary & secondary DNS server in Active Directory Integrated mode.

Everytime I create a reverse lookup zone, it dissappears each time I reload it. It actually looks as though it is still there but when trying to perform subsequent operations, it tells me that the zone no longer exists & the secondary server shows the same.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong? Could it be the way I configured it?

This is how I set it up..

1) Right clicked on 'reverse lookup zones' and selected 'New Zone'

2) completed the wizard by selecting 'Standard Primary Zone' and pressed next, then specified 192.168.0 and pressed next, then accepted the default file name (0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.dns) and pressed next and finish.

3) I added in a pointer record for each of our 2 dns servers.

4) I went to the zone properties and added the secondary DNS server to the 'Name Servers' tap.

Did I miss anything?

Is there anything I should have done afterwards to initiate the zone update etc?

Can I immediately set up the secondary zone on the other server or do I need to do something else before that?

Thanks for your help... a star to anyone who points me in the right direction!

Regards, pete

No.. no error messages at all in event log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back