Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse Geocoding 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nzoli

Programmer
Feb 17, 2011
HU
Hi all!

I was happy when I found this forum because it helped me so much!
So I have another vfp problem :)

I found a helpful thread (Using VFP WithYahoo Maps Geocoding API), but I need a reverse solution.

So I get a LAT/LON coordinates from my gps tracker.
I'm uplodaing to my MySQL server.
After I get, how can I reverse the LAT/LON to an addresses?

Thanks for your answer!

Ps.: I would like to measure the driven distance too... but this is another project :)

I found and it says the geocoding API is deprecated and should be replaced by PlaceFinder (see the red box on that page)

This leads me to and voilá, this offers both lookup of coordinates via an adress and the inverse lookup of an adress nearest to some coordinates.

That said I haven't got the time to try this API, but you might find the requests working in a asimilar way to what you already are using.

Bye, Olaf.

Nzoli,

As I'm sure you know, geocoding isn't necessarily a two-way street. You can always get the lat/long co-ordinates from an address, but you can't always get an address from the co-ordinates.

Sorry, I know this is stating the obvious. Presumably, your application is aware of this limitation.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

Mike, the yahoo placefinder api does reverse geocoding. Of course not any coordinates give an adress, but that is taken account of by yahoo, by three mechanisms:

1. Returning the coordinates of the nearest found adress besides the adress only
2. Returning a quality measurement, whatever exactly that indicates, you can choose to trust higher quality results more than lowe quality results.
3. Limiting results by a redius from the queried coordinates, which means no result when too far away from any adress.

If you're collecting GPS coordinates while doing delivery you can see at what adress a car is, perhaps, if you record coordinates while bicycling you can see where you drove.

@Nzoli, did you try placefinder? Sample requests simply done in a web browser work for me and you should already have an application id from using the older geocoding api.

Bye, Olaf.

Thanks for you all the answers!

@OlafDoschke:
yeah!
the yahoo placefinder is working :) THANKS

I'm using it with @andyrice's ( websave example...

@MikeLewis: Fortunately I don't need the full and accurate addresses, I have enough the country, the road number and the postal code. The rest is just bonus :)
I've tried a GPS number that is not near any settlement. I got the road number, the closest zip(maybe) and the county

thanks again for you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back