Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reverse DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

strausy

MIS
Jun 7, 1999
US
Visit site
I'm using Microsoft DNS and I'm afraid I'm not doing reverse DNS correctly. <br>
<br>
When creating a new zone using the A record, I type in it's IP address and check &quot;Create associated PTR record.&quot; According to the book, this is all I have to do. When I do an nslookup of the domain, I get the IP number. But when I do a reverse lookup, nslookup IP number, it says it can not resolve this. <br>
<br>
Is this all really needed?

I noticed your spelling is in.addr.arpa. It should be in-addr.arpa. Check that. Also you can open that database file to see if the A record is being transfered.

Just mispelled here, it's right in the DNS server. The only thing in the in-addr.arpa file is the two NS servers and an SOA record.

Have you created your reverse zone before creating the normal zone ?<br>
If not (and if it's not too much trouble)<br>
Delete both of the zones, make sure the files are deleted too.<br>
First create the reverse lookup zone, after that create the normal zone.<br>
Hope this helps<br>
<br>
Peter VE <p>Peter Van Eeckhoutte<br><a href=mailto:peter.ve@itinera.be>peter.ve@itinera.be</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back