Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Returning Most Current Date - minor problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobypsl

Technical User
Jan 9, 2005
GB
I am using Crystal reports 8.5 to generate reports on a client contact database. There are 4 tables one each for Companies, Contacts and Notes and a note links table linking the notes ID to the contact ID, fields as follows;

RCLIENTS CONTACTS NOTLINK rNotes
ObjectID ObjectID LinkID NoteIDN
Company CoID NotePos NoteDate
CoType Job Title NoteIDN NoteMemo
County

CONTACTS.CoID = RCLIENTS.ObjectID, NOTLINK.LinkID = CONTACTS.ObjectID and rNotes.NoteIDN = NOTLINK.NoteIDN

I have the Clients linked to the contacts linked to the Notlink linked to the rNotes in a straight line.

I would like to list each company with each contact at that company and a date at which they were last contacted. I would like to select these by CLIENTS.County and grouped by CoType. The report I have selects and groups OK but lists every date they were contacted.

I have tried various methods suggested in the forum but they don't work. The one I like the look of is to edit Report, Edit Selection Criteria, Group and enter an expression - but the expression doesn't work. I can get only the most current contacts (ie. today) to display but any clients not contacted today will not show up.

Perhaps I have my links set up wrong ?

any help appreciated ...

Insert a group on the contact date in descending order. Show the details in the group header and you should display only the last date.

To use the group selection method, be sure you have a group on the contact ID (can't tell which field this is above}. Then your group selection formula should look like:

{table.contactdate} = maximum({table.contactdate},{table.contactID})

Substitute the correct fields--can't tell what your contact date field is either--maybe {rNotes.NoteDate}?

-LB

GMcNamara - will try the group header method, thanks for tip.

LB - did try this earlier with

{rNotes.NoteDate}=maximum({rNotes.NoteDate},{RCONTS.ObjectID})

but it returns with an error The running total / summary field could not be calculated.

i have grouped on CONTACTS.ObjectID

I think then that you placed the formula in the wrong place. Go to report->edit selection formula->GROUP and enter it there.

-LB

LB's suggestion sounds right to me, perhaps as LB forewarned you do not have it grouped accordingly.

-k

that works - I thought it was sufficient to put the group in using the report expert and it didn't work - but inserting it manually seems to have done the trick. 2 further points however - if I have contacted the client several times in the same day each separate contact will show up (presumably I can suppress duplicates by editing the field in the usual way?)

also any companies whose contacts have not yet been called no longer show up - can I set null date fields to contain an arbirtrary date so they do appear or can the formula be ammended in some way.

thanks for help so far !!

actually I can't suppress duplicates in the way I normally - which is to highlight th fields in teh report and edit each to stop duplication - as obviously some contacts sharte the same company name. can the group selection formula be set up to identify only DISTINCT dates ?

Try something like {@date}:

if isnull({rNotes.NoteDate}) then date(9999/09/09) else
{rNotes.NoteDate}

Then use a group selection formula of:

{@date} = maximum({@date},{RCONTS.ObjectID})

For the duplication, go to the section expert->details->suppress->x+2 and enter:

{RCONTS.ObjectID} = previous({RCONTS.ObjectID})

Make sure your date field is used as a sort field in descending order.

-LB

It seems like you could report the contact date in the ContactDate group footer. Then the date would only appear one time. Am I missing something?
MrBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back